2012-09-10 02:34:14 - Angola - Telecoms, Mobile, Broadband and Forecasts - a new market research report on companiesandmarkets.com
With peace restored in 2002 after decades of civil war, foreign investment in Angola has multiplied and the mobile market has soared despite a continued duopoly between Unitel and Angola Telecom´s Movicel. The country is the second-largest oil producer in sub-Saharan Africa, and the rise of oil prices has led to double-digit GDP growth in recent years. However, following a slowdown in 2009 and 2010, the economy is forecast to grow more in line with the African average going forward, at around 6% p.a.
Competition was also introduced in the underdeveloped fixed-line market, but launch delays and consolidation among the newly licensed players have led to a duopoly in this sector as well between Angola Telecom and Mercury Telecom. The long
awaited start of Mundo Startel´s fixed-wireless operations in 2009 has created a third force in this market.
The mobile network operators have launched 3G services and are shaking up the broadband market where fixed-wireless operators and ISPs with CDMA and WiMAX-based networks have been competing with Angola Telecom´s ADSL and cable modem services. However, prices are still beyond the reach of most Angolans due to the high cost of international bandwidth as a result of Angola Telecom´s monopolisation of the SAT-3/WASC international fibre optic submarine cable. The recent landing of new international fibre systems in the country is now expected to change this, coupled with a US$500 million national fibre backbone network rollout.
Angola Telecom is going through a restructuring process with the help of international consultants. A majority stake in its mobile unit, Movicel has been sold to private investors and a migration from CDMA to GSM/UMTS technology has been announced. The creation of Infrasat as an independent satellite business unit and the Angola Cable consortium for international fibre connections are additional steps towards greater liberalisation of the country´s telecom market, improved efficiency of the national telco and its eventual privatisation. A third mobile operator licence has also been discussed.
- Second international submarine fibre optic cable lands
- Coordinated trans-sector national fibre rollout
- Angola Telecom restructuring
- Recovery from global economic crisis
- Estimates for mobile, fixed-line and internet market for 2012
- Forecasts for mobile market to 2013 and 2016
- Profiles of major players in all market sectors
This annual report provides a comprehensive overview of trends and developments in Angola´s telecommunications market. Subjects covered include:
- Key statistics
- Market and industry overviews
- The impact of the global economic crisis
- Government policies affecting the telecoms industry
- Market liberalisation and regulatory issues
- Major players (fixed, mobile and broadband)
- Telecoms operators â privatisation, restructuring, acquisitions, new licences
- Infrastructure development
- International submarine fibre optic cables
- National fibre backbone network
- Mobile voice and data markets
- Internet and broadband development and pricing, including 3G mobile
- Convergence (voice/data, fixed/wireless/mobile)
- Mobile market forecasts for 2013 and 2016
Click for report details: www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Telecommunications/Market-Res ..
Browse all Telecommunications Market Research Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Telecommunications/Market-Res ..
Browse all Telecommunications Company Profile Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Telecommunications/Company-Pr ..
Browse all Latest Market Research Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/All/Market-Research?aCode=f3f ..
Companiesandmarkets.com is a leading online business information aggregator with over 300,000 market reports and company profiles available to our clients. Our extensive range of reports are sourced from the leading publishers of business information and provide clients with the widest range of information available. In terms of company profiles, Companiesandmarkets.comâs online database allows clients access to market and corporate information to over 100,000 different companies. We provide clients with a fully indexed database of information where clients can find specific market reports on their niche industry sectors of interest.