2013-12-11 14:19:02 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Argentina Autos Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
In the first nine months of 2013, vehicle sales in Argentina increased 19.0% y-o-y, to 718,318 units. The market has registered sharp increases over the past few months, in line with recent improvements in broader measures of private consumption. Further, currency effects have played a large part in this strong year-to-date growth in autos sales. On the back of strong sales over the year to date, we forecast a 17% increase in vehicle sales. We caution, however, that such growth may prove to be unsustainable in the longer term, and there are considerable downside risks to our forecast.
Despite this sharp increase, BMI maintains a bearish outlook on vehicle sales growth in the country, predicated on persistently high inflation and unemployment
levels depressing consumer sentiment. Currency effects have played a large part in this strong year-to-date growth; we believe that such effects may prove to be unsustainable over the year, however, and expect the sales growth rate to moderate in the coming months.
Full Report Details at
The majority of vehicles sold in the country are imported owing to the relatively small size of domestic production. Imported cars are priced in dollars, but can be bought in pesos at the official rate; if a buyer pays with pesos bought with dollars on the black market (the implied rate), it will be considerably cheaper. Reports suggest that imports of luxury cars into Argentina have surged in the first four months of 2013, as the country's weak consumer story has little impact on this segment. We believe that this, at least in part, helps explain the recent surge in sales growth.
We maintain our view that Argentina is unlikely to significantly boost investment from international auto manufacturers and develop into a regional manufacturing hub. Compared to Brazil and Mexico, Argentina exports relatively little to North America. As such, the country is less attractive as a potential production location for international auto manufacturers. Further, Argentina continues to score significantly lower than the regional average in BMI's Risk/Rewards Ratings for the autos industry in the Americas. We believe a significant relaxation in regulations for carmakers and a check on inflation will be required to help Argentina improve its score.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Production, Sales and Trade
- Table: Argentina Autos Sales, 2010-2017
- Table: Argentina Vehicle Sales By Brand
- Table: Argentina Autos Production, 2010-2017
- Table: Argentina Vehicle Production By Brand
- Table: Argentina Autos Trade, 2010-2017
- Passenger Vehicles
- Table: Passenger Car Production, Sales, And Exports Data And Forecasts
- Table: Passenger Car Production By Brand
- Table: Passenger Car Sales By Brand
- Commercial Vehicles
- Table: Argentina Commercial Vehicle Segment, 2010-2017
- Table: Argentina Light Commercial Vehicle Sales By Brand
- Table: Argentina Heavy Truck Sales By Brand
- Table: Argentina Bus And Coach Sales By Brand
- Table: Argentina Light Commercial Vehicle Production By Brand
- Table: Argentina Heavy Truck Production By Brand
- Table: Argentina Bus And Coach Production By Brand
- Table: Argentina - GDP By Expenditure
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Latin America Risk/ Rewards Ratings
- Company Monitor
Global Industry Overview
- Table: Argentina's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Argentina's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Argentina's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Argentina's Urban And Rural Population, 1990-2020
- Industry Forecasts
- Sector-Specific Methodology
- Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
- Table: Automotive Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators And Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.