2013-12-29 17:41:51 - New Consumer Goods market report from Business Monitor International: "Argentina Consumer Electronics Report Q1 2014"
Argentina's domestic consumer electronics devices market, for mobile handsets and AV products, is projected at US$5.7bn in 2013 by BMI. The market has recovered since a sharp deceleration in 2009 and spending is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.6% to US$7.1bn by 2017, driven by demand for flat-panel TV sets, notebook computers, digital cameras and other key products, and also by rising incomes and greater credit availability. Spending will be constrained by an uncertain economic outlook and our data show prices rising faster than shopping centre sales, with consumers cautious due to an uptick in unemployment. We still expect sales of mobile handsets, plasma TV sets, digital cameras and other categories of consumer electronics products to grow in
2013, as monetary and fiscal policies remain highly expansionary. BMI has warned of the risk of a substantial currency devaluation, which would have an impact on the affordability of IT products and services. Although local PC, TV and mobile phone production in Tierra del Fuego state has expanded rapidly, most of the imports used for assembly are still imported. The tax on 'luxury goods' such as mobile phones and digital cameras has dramatically boosted the sales share of locally produced goods, while sales of imported consumer electronics devices have fallen sharply.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/754459_argentina_consumer_electronics_report ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
Computer Hardware Sales: US$2.0bn in 2012 to US$2.1bn in 2013, +2% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged due to macroeconomic factors and analyst modification as domestic PC production continues to increase.
AV Sales: US$2.5bn in 2012 to US$2.6bn in 2013, +5% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with HD and smart TV sets expected to provide the most dynamic development.
Handset Sales: US$554mn in 2012 to US$588mn in 2013, +8% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised with smartphones the main revenue growth driver.
Risk/Reward Ratings: Argentina's score was 41.9 out of 100.0, remaining in seventh place in our latest Americas Risk/Reward Ratings (RRRs) table. BMI expects rising penetration of consumer electronics devices such as smartphones and flat-screen TV sets, but government policies will constrain the opportunity
Key Trends & Developments
* According to a survey conducted by the consultancy firm Marco, most consumer electronics retailers expect an increase in sales over H213. In the mobile handset sector, 72% of 110 executives believe there will be an increase, driven by smartphone purchases. Another clear trend that has emerged is that of customers renewing their old devices.
* The flat-panel TV market in Argentina should grow , partly due to the government's implementation of a US$2bn plan for open digital TV. The government has set a deadline of 2018 for completion of the country's migration to digital TV broadcasting. By 2012, two years after launching its digital initiative, Argentina's digital TV network reached 75% of the population, according to government figures. There are now has 50 digital TV stations in the country.
* All operators report demand for smartphones is high, and value-added services are driving revenue. One innovation is smartphones enabled for digital TV, with mobile phone manufacturers such as Motorola, Samsung and LG committed to producing these devices. In H212, Personal launched a tender process to acquire 140,000 mobile phones featuring digital TV, while rival operator Claro ordered 100,000 such phones from Samsung.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Consumer Electronics Market
- Business Environment
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview
- Table: Argentina - GDP By Expenditure
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Americas Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Americas Risk/Reward Ratings, Q1 2014
- Table: PC Sales, 2010-2017
- Table: AV Sales, 2010-2017
- Mobile Handsets
- Table: Mobile Handsets
- Local Companies
- Table: Bangho
- Table: Exo
- Table: Noblex (Newsan)
- Table: Fravega
- Table: Musimundo
- Table: Cetrogar
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: AV Products Domestic Output ('000), 2005-2011
- Mobile Devices
- Table: Mobile Handset Domestic Output ('000), 2005-2011
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: Argentina's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Argentina's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Argentina's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Argentina's Urban And Rural Population, 1990-2020
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Sector-Specific Methodology
- Risk Reward Rating Methodology
- Sector-Specific Methodology
- Table: Consumer Electronics Risk Reward Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.