2013-12-23 17:59:57 - New Healthcare market report from Business Monitor International: "Bahrain Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014"
We remain cautiously positive about Bahrain's longer-term pharmaceutical market outlook. On the one hand, the population's relative wealth and the absence of a strong domestic pharmaceutical market will continue to support imports of novel medicines. On the other, the currently unsettled political situation is casting shadows over the country's future business climate. Nevertheless, foreign drugmakers seem to be willing to commit to Bahrain longer-term potential, as evidenced by the spate of agreements signed over the past year between Japanese pharmaceutical company SBI and local investment and academic institutions.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: BHD99mn (US$262mn) in 2012 to BHD108mn (US$287mn) in 2013; +9.7% in both local currency and US dollar terms. Forecasts unchanged in relation to the previous quarter's projections.
Healthcare: BHD402mn (US$1.07bn) in 2012 to BHD438mn (US$1.16bn) in 2013; +8.9% in both local currency and US dollar terms. Forecasts unchanged in relation to the previous quarter's projections.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/754475_bahrain_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_re ..
Risk/Reward Rating: In our Q1 2014 matrix for the Middle East and Africa (MEA), Bahrain ranks eighth out of the 30 markets surveyed in the region. We do not envisage a major change in its position in the coming quarter. Though the country's position is currently propped up by its favourable risks profile, we note that the unresolved political situation threatens its positive outlook, especially given the small population numbers. On the other hand, Bahrain's well-developed epidemiological trends should continue to provide commercial opportunities for innovative drugmakers, wider operating environment permitting.
Key Trends And Developments
* According to a study carried out by HSBC Bank, Bahrain provides one of the best standards of care for expatriates and their children. The survey, which was carried out on 7,004 expatriates in 37 countries and made public in November 2013, revealed that Bahrain stands second in terms of the quality of life offered. Thailand ranked first, while Cayman Islands, Australia, India and Spain stood behind Bahrain.
BMI Economic View: Assuming oil prices do not collapse and political stability is eventually restored, Bahrain's economy will be able to post relatively moderate levels of real GDP growth over the coming decade. However, we note that the ongoing political crisis has raised a host of questions surrounding Bahrain's long-term outlook. In particular, concerns over the future performance of the country's financial services and tourism sectors have been raised in light of the current political situation.
BMI Political View: We expect Bahrain's political impasse to remain unresolved throughout 2014, and see few signs that a breakthrough is possible over the coming quarters. The regime will remain firmly entrenched for now, having adopted a successful but 'short-termist' strategy of 'divide and conquer' against the Shi'a opposition.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Bahrain Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Bahrain Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Table: Bahrain Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Table: Bahrain Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Bahrain Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Bahrain Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Bahrain Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Bahrain Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Analysis
- Table: Bahrain - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Middle East And Africa Risk/Reward Ratings
- Bahrain Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Non-Communicable Diseases
- Table: Leading Causes Of Death In Bahrain, 2008
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Provision
- Table: Ministry Of Health's Objectives
- Health Insurance
- Health Insurance for Expatriates
- Table: National Health Insurance Scheme Breakdown
- Healthcare Sector Investment
- Table: Features Of Dilmunia Health Island
- Information Technology In Healthcare
- Research And Development
- Clinical Trials
- GCC Harmonisation
- Intellectual Property Regime
- Counterfeit Medicines
- Pricing And Reimbursement Regime
- Public Sector Procurement
- Free Trade Agreements
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Domestic Industry
- Pharmaceutical Industry Developments
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.