2013-12-27 08:21:15 - New Retailing market report from Business Monitor International: "Bahrain Retail Report Q1 2014"
Bahrain's retail sector is expected to grow steadily over the next few years as its increasingly sophisticated urban population continues to spend on non-essential items such as luxury clothing and jewellery. This will result in a strong rise in household spending across all retail subsectors. We are particularly bullish about the future growth prospects for food & non-alcoholic drinks and recreation & culture spending, with expenditure on clothing & footwear and furnishing & home also forecast to grow strongly between 2013 and 2018. However, we expect housing & utilities expenditure to remain by far the highest throughout our forecast period.
The new Bahrain retail report provides an extensive and comprehensive forecast of various retail indicators including household spending, and headline total
spending across each retail subsector, household income and employment forecasts, demographic forecasts, and a detailed breakdown of household and per capita spending across a large number of retail areas including food & drink, healthcare and insurance, consumer electronics, toys, pets, gardens, household goods, and a number of other subsectors.
Full Report Details at
The Bahrain retail market is substantially less developed than those of Dubai or Abu Dhabi, with convenience stores still very much part of the retail scene and traditional markets (souks) continuing to dominate the market for traditional services and goods such as gold, fabric and sweets. However, Bahrain's love affair with modern retail is intensifying, with 'super malls' such as the Bahrain City Centre development revolutionising the retail scene. Bahrain's growing population, increasing levels of disposable income and proximity to Eastern Province in Saudi Arabia have all contributed to a significant increase in the size of the retail market in the past decade.
We forecast that the average net household income will be around US$63,846 in 2013, with almost 87% of all households in the middle-income bracket of $10,000+. A significant percentage (44.4%) of households falls into the highest US$50,000+ wage bracket, and this is forecast to rise to 55.8% by 2018. This represents the key demographic for increased household spending on luxury items beyond necessities such as food, utilities and transport, and will result in a corresponding increase in household spending on health, communications and personal care.
However, we note downside risks to our forecasts from the continued uncertainty of Bahrain's political trajectory, with private-sector investment and business confidence set to remain below potential until a resolution is found - an outcome we deem unlikely at present.
Recent Developments Include:
* Bahrain and China have signed an agreement to build a Chinese-themed retail shopping mall in Diyar al-Muharraq, scheduled to open in 2014.
* Electronics retailer Sharaf DG has opened a 4,645m2 big-box concept store in Bahrain, similar to its store in Times Square, Dubai.
* US Lingerie retailer Victoria's Secret is one of the new entrants to Bahrain City Centre, the largest shopping, leisure & entertainment complex in the kingdom.
Key BMI Forecasts:
* We expect total household spending to be US$13.8bn in 2013.
* Household numbers will reach almost 149,000 in 2013, representing growth of 1.0% y-o-y. We expect the rate of growth to accelerate slightly throughout our forecast period, averaging 1.3% annual growth to reach 159,053 households by 2018.
* More than 66,000 households will be in the US$50,000+ income bracket by the end of 2013, according to our forecasts, and we expect this figure to increase to 89,000 by 2018.
* In our proprietary Risk Reward Ratings, Bahrain sits in sixth place regionally overall, with its overall score boosted by high per capita household spending but dented by its small population.
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.