2013-12-23 16:21:45 - New Healthcare research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
While economic growth is boosting demand for pharmaceuticals in Bangladesh, income inequality continues to drive the purchase of counterfeit medicines. In November 2013, the government vowed to continue fighting the growing industry of substandard, counterfeit and life-endangering medicines - a positive development for patients. Counterfeiting hijacks brands and infringes legitimate pharmaceutical manufacturers' patent and trademark rights - affecting their revenue-earning abilities in the Bangladeshi pharmaceutical market. www.fastmr.com/prod/754468_bangladesh_pharmaceuticals_healthcare ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: BDT124.25bn (US$1.52bn) in 2012 to BDT138.80bn (US$1.76bn) in 2013; +11.7% in local currency terms and +16.1% in US dollar terms.
* Healthcare: BDT349.08bn (US$4.27bn) in 2012 to BDT399.56bn (US$5.07bn) in 2013; +14.5% in local currency terms and +18.9% in US dollar terms.
Full Report Details at
Risk/Reward Ratings: While geographic diversification and investment into the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors of emerging economies such as Bangladesh may be a favourable strategy for any multinational pharmaceutical company, it is vital that a company recognises both the rewards and the risks present in a market. For Q114, Bangladesh stands at 16th position out of the 18 regional markets surveyed. Its overall rating of 40 out of 100 remains considerably lower than the average for the region.
Key Trends And Developments
In October 2013, it was reported that the number of heart disease patients and spending on treatment have been rising sharply in Bangladesh. For example, data from the National Heart Foundation Hospital and Research Institute (NHFHRI) in Dhaka suggest that a total 18,610 patients were admitted in 2012, a growth of 13% year-on-year from 16,471 patients admitted in 2011.
Bangladesh's Dhaka Medical College and Hospital opened its new 10-storey, 600-bed second building in October 2013. Another Bangladeshi medical college, the Faridpur Medical College and Hospital, opened its new six-storey, 250-bed building on October 19 to double its hospital capacity from 250 to 550 beds. The two medical colleges expanded their hospital capacities as a measure to improve healthcare facilities for poor patients in the country.
BMI Economic View: The Bangladeshi economy has demonstrated resilience in the face of multiple headwinds, which bodes well for our core view that real GDP growth will bounce in FY2013/14 (July-June) to 6.5%. In the face of the disruptive nature of confrontational politics in the country and the ongoing financial market stresses currently plaguing the region, its economy has continued to fare well. Key tailwinds - loose monetary policy and improving external demand conditions (particularly in Europe) - are expected to remain in play.
BMI Political View: Bangladesh's political crisis shows no signs of abating as the country heads towards a general election. A series of opposition-led hartals culminated in the recent arrest of key opposition leaders, making a near-term truce between the ruling Awami League and the opposition Bangladesh National Party (BNP) increasingly difficult.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Bangladesh Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Bangladesh Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Bangladesh Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Bangladesh Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Bangladesh Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Bangladesh Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Bangladesh Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Table: Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (BDTmn)
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Analysis
- Table: Bangladesh - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Asia Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings
- Bangladesh Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Infrastructure
- Table: Hospital And Beds, 2002-2006
- Table: Public Primary Care Facilities, 1994-2004
- Table: Medical Personnel by Type, 1995-2006
- Research & Development
- Table: Suggestions Made By University Of Dhaka's Faculty Of Pharmacy To Improve Pharmaceutical Research
- Clinical Trials
- Regulatory Regime
- Table: Steps To Establish A Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Unit And Obtain A Drug Manufacturing Licence
- Counterfeit Drugs
- Intellectual Property
- Pricing & Reimbursement
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Domestic Pharmaceutical Industry
- Contract Manufacturing
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.