2013-12-30 05:39:44 - New Healthcare market report from Business Monitor International: "Belgium Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014"
Belgium's economy is gradually beginning to recover, and while we expect that widespread cuts and austerity measures will hold back growth in the pharmaceuticals market in the short term, the healthcare market should begin to show signs of recovery in the short term. One of the factors supporting the sector is Belgium's advanced R&D industry. It is a European hub for clinical trials, new drug development and niche research and this attracts the attention of multinational firms. The handful of partnerships and research agreements signed over the past three months illustrate Belgium's appeal to foreign pharma firms. In terms of the domestic market, per capita spending on pharmaceuticals may be high, but it is subjected to continual downward pressure -
a fact that is creating opportunities for growth for manufacturers of generic drugs.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/754469_belgium_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_re ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: EUR5.89bn (US$7.48bn) in 2012 to EUR5.79bn (US$7.71bn) in 2013; -1.6% in local currency terms and +3.0% in US dollar terms. Local currency forecast virtually unchanged from Q413.
* Healthcare: EUR40.09bn (US$50.92bn) in 2012 to EUR40.70bn (US$54.13bn) in 2013; +1.5% in local currency terms and +6.3% in US dollar terms. Local currency forecast unchanged from Q413.
Risk/Reward Rating: In our latest Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) assessment, Belgium fell two places in the regional table, ranking eight out of the thirteen markets surveyed in the Western European region. Belgium scores above regional average scores for every indicator, with the exception of Country Risk, where its small population size limits opportunities.
Key Trends And Developments
* Belgium's Ablynz and Swiss biotech firm Merck Serono announced in September 2013 that they had entered into a research alliance. Under the terms of the agreement, Ablynx will receive funding from Merck Serono and the two will select disease targets together. A month later, Ablynx announced plans to present pre-clinical proof of concept data from ALX-0761, a nanobody developed through a partnership with Merck Serono, for rheumatoid arthritis.
* In September 2013, Belgium's Galapagos entered into a global alliance with AbbVie for the development of therapies for the treatment of cystic fibrosis. The two firms aim to build potentiators and correctors discovered by Galapagos and expand the range of molecules with a view to begin Phase 1 clinical trials for oral drugs for cystic fibrosis by end-2014.
* Regulatory changes, introduced in December 2012 and implemented in end-June 2013, mean that hospital pharmacists must now pass a three-year training period, rather than the previous one-year recognition system.
BMI Economic View: We expect to see economic growth in Belgium, with full-year real GDP growth standing at 0.3% in 2013 and 1.2% in 2014. But current levels of unemployment remain a concern, and this shortage of jobs will hold back household spending, which in turn affects growth.
BMI Political View: Federal elections are on the horizon in 2014, but given the fragmented nature of Belgian politics, there is a good chance that no clear winner will emerge. Should political instability re-emerge, this will have widespread implications.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Belgium Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Belgium Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Table: Belgium Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Table: Belgium Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Belgium Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Belgium Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Generic Companies By Market Share, 2010
- Table: Belgium Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Belgium Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Pharmaceutical Trade
- Table: Belgium Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn), 2009-2017
- Table: Belgium Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (EURmn), 2009-2017
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Activity
- Table: Belgium - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Western Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Belgium Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Public Health Developments
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Insurance
- Healthcare Financing
- Medical Tourism
- Research And Development
- Table: R&D Investment By Chemical & Life Science Industries, 2005-2010
- Clinical Trials
- Pharmaceutical Advertising
- Regulatory Developments
- Intellectual Property Issues
- Pricing Regime
- Reimbursement Regime
- Table: Reimbursements By Category, 2009
- Table: Price Build-Up For OTC Medicines
- Pharmaceutical Sector
- Recent Company Developments
- Pharmaceutical Distribution
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.