2013-12-10 11:17:42 - New Healthcare market report from Business Monitor International: "Canada Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014"
The Canadian government is leveraging direct incentives to attract multinational pharmaceutical companies to invest in research and development in the country. In Canada's single-payer healthcare system, patented drug sales will continue to face cost-containment measures. As a result, BMI stresses that innovative pharmaceutical companies will need to take advantage of the new incentives if they are to maximize on commercial benefits.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: CAD25.8bn (US$25.8bn) in 2012 to CAD25.6bn (US$24.7bn) in 2013; -0.6% growth in local currency terms and -4.5% growth in US dollar terms. Forecast changed from Q413 due to macroeconomic data changes. �
Healthcare: CAD198.8bn (US$198.9bn) in 2012 to CAD206.5bn (US$198.5bn) in 2013; +3.9% growth in local currency terms and -0.2%growth in US dollar terms. Forecast up
from Q413 due to macroeconomic data changes.
Canada scores 68.7 in BMI's Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Risk/Reward Ratings (RRR) matrix, making it the second-most attractive pharmaceutical market in America. We have re-weighted the RRR components to improve the tool, and adjusted scores for all markets in our Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare reports.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/752004_canada_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_rep ..
Key Trends And Developments
* In October 2013, Health Canada approved Roche's Actemra (tocilizumab) to treat children with polyarticular-course juvenile idiopathic arthritis (polyJIA), Novo Nordisk's Levemir FlexTouch, a disposable prefilled insulin pen containing Levemir (insulin detemir); Bayer's Stivarga (regorafenib tablets) for treatment of adult patients with metastatic and/or unresectable gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GIST) who have had disease progression on or intolerance to imatinib and sunitinib.
* In October 2013, Roche opened its new pharmaceutical headquarters at 7070 Mississauga Road. Roche Canada's pharmaceutical division, previously located at 2455 Meadowpine Boulevarde in Mississauga, employs 621 people in Canada, 500 (full time, permanent) of whom are based at its head office in Mississauga..
* In October 2013, Merck & Co's subsidiary Merck Canada allocated US$16mn in grants to four university hospital centres in Quebec to support research in life sciences. Universite de Montreal, Universite de Sherbrooke, Universite Laval and McGill University will use the grants to conduct health research with a translational component in areas of unmet medical needs.
* In October 2013, the minister of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology in Quebec Canada, Pierre Duchesne, announced the new National Research and Innovation Policy (PNRI). This will increase the budget of the Fonds de recherche du Quebec, as well as increase funding to universities, companies and other research institutions so that they see commercial benefits from their research activities.
BMI Economic View: We have downgraded our 2014 real GDP growth forecast for Canada to 2.3% from 2.5%, with the 2015 projection rising slightly to 2.5% from 2.4%. The Canadian economy is undergoing a slower process of rebalancing than we had expected, with private consumption and the housing market holding up despite major headwinds, and the export sector faltering.
BMI Political View: With two years to go until the Canadian federal elections, the field is a near dead-heat between the three major parties (the ruling Conservative Party, the Liberal Party, and the New Democratic Party). The Liberal Party appears to be the most credible challenger to the Conservatives in 2015, but with little in the way of policy promises so far, the potential impact of a change of government after the next election is difficult to assess..
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Canada Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (CADmn)
- Other Healthcare Data
- Table: Health Expenditure By Sector And Type, 2009 (CADmn)
- Table: Pharmacists By Type, Province And Territory, 2011
- Table: Active Physicians, 2005-2009
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Activity
- Table: Canada - Gdp By Expenditure, Real Growth %
- GDP By Expenditure
- Risks To Outlook
- Table: Canada Long-Term Macroeconomic Forecasts
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Americas Risk/Reward Ratings
- Canada Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Non-Communicable Diseases
- Healthcare Sector
- Table: Sustainability Of Public Health Expenditure And Pharmaceutical Approval Indicators
- Research & Development
- Personalised Medicine
- Intellectual Property Regime
- Pricing Regime
- Reimbursement Regime
- Recent Developments
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Table: Top 20 Pharmaceutical Companies According To Market Capitalisation On The Canadian Stock Exchange
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.