2013-02-28 15:04:31 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Chile Power Report Q1 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
BMI View: Energy continues to generate concerns in Chile, as the country's expanding middle class bring with it an increase in demand for electricity and current generating capacity is not keeping pace. Another dry year means that hydroelectric sources of power are less productive, but large-scale projects such as HidroAysen are losing popular support. Chile's government has a challenge on its hands to ensure that electricity supply meets demand. There have been many positive developments in Chile's power market in Q412, with new transmission and distribution projects approved, and progress on Cochrane coal-fired power plant and the Alto Maipo hydroelectric power plant reported.
Domestic demand for energy in Chile is growing, and hydroelectricity supplies the majority of this demand - a
source of power that is subject to risks, as recent dry seasons illustrate, and Chile needs to diversify its electricity-generating mix to ensure that supply meets the growing demands of the population and its energy-intensive mining industry.
Full Report Details at
During 2013-2017, BMI forecasts that Chile's total power generation will increase by an annual average of 3.90%, reaching 74.5 terawatt hours (TWh) at the end of this forecast period. The population is expected to rise from 17.4mn to 18.7mn during 2011-2021, and net power consumption looks set to rise from 58.6TWh in 2011 to 69.9TWh by 2017, and then to 85.6TWh by 2021. The theoretical net export capacity by 2017 is 36.3TWh.
Key developments for Chile's power sector this quarter include:
* Japan's Mitsubishi announced plans in November 2012 to acquire a 40% stake in the Cochrane coal-fired power station. Mitsubishi will develop the project with AES Gener, which will hold a 60% share.
* Colombia's ISA was awarded three contracts in Chile in October 2012, to design, construct and operate a 743km series of transmission lines.
* AES Gener's Chilean subsidiary awarded Austria's Strabag a design and build contract for the tunnelling and civil works of the 513MW Alto Maipo hydropower project.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Chile Snaphot
- Table: Country Snapshot: Economic and Demographic Data
- Table: Country Snapshot: Power Sector
- Chile Forecast Scenario
- Electricity Generation And Power Generating Capacity
- Table: Chile Total Electricity Generation Data And Forecasts 2010-2015
- Table: Chile Total Electricity Generation Data And Long-Term Forecasts 2015-2021
- Table: Chile Electricity Generating Capacity Data And Forecasts 2010-2015
- Table: Chile Electricity Generating Capacity Data And Long-Term Forecasts 2015-2021
- Electricity Consumption
- Table: Chile Total Electricity Consumption Data And Forecasts, 2010-2015
- Table: Chile Total Electricity Consumption Long-Term Forecasts, 2015-2021
- Transmission & Distribution, Imports & Exports
- Table: Chile Electric Power Transmission And Distribution Losses Data And Forecasts 2010-2016
- Table: Chile Electric Power Transmission And Distribution Losses Data And Long-Term Forecasts 2015-2021
- Table: Chile Trade Data And Forecasts 2010-2016
- Table: Chile Trade Data And Long-Term Forecasts 2015-2021
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Latin America Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Latin America Power Risk/Reward Ratings
- Chile Power Risk/Reward Ratings
- Market Overview
- Key Policies And Market Structure
- Regulation And Competition
- Sustainable Energy Policies
- Chile Power Projects Database
- Table: Chile Key Projects Data Base
- Pacific Hydro
- Latin America Regional Overview
- Glossary of Terms
- Table: Glossary of Terms
- Methodology and Sources
- Industry Forecasts
- Power Industry - Data Methodology
- Generation and Consumption Data
- Electricity Generating Capacity Data
- Power Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
- Table: Power Risk/Reward Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.