2014-03-14 01:49:57 - New Consumer Goods market report from Business Monitor International: "China Tourism Report Q2 2014"
BMI holds a very positive outlook on tourism in China, with a confluence of factors expected to result in increases across all of our key market indicators throughout our forecast period to 2018. Strong domestic economic growth, and increasingly affluent middle class, is boosting outbound travel, while a relaxation of visa requirements and improvement in connectivity is driving growth in inbound arrivals.
Several years of economic growth have led to an increase in the popularity of outbound travel from China, and while signs are that the massive rates of growth seen in recent years may not be repeated in 2014, we still expect to see substantial increases in outbound travel. By 2018, we expect the number of annual outbound travellers to
reach 122.5mn. In addition to this, the tourism market is also boosted by high levels of domestic travel within the country's extensive borders.
Thanks to its multitude of tourist attractions, including cities such as Shanghai and Beijing, cultural and historical attractions such as The Forbidden City and Great Wall of China, and various eco-attractions, China is proving a perennially attractive global tourism destination. While 2012 saw slightly lower growth rates, a remnant of the global credit crunch, annual increases in arrivals have been impressive, and by 2018 we expect the number of arrivals to reach 45.0mn, driven largely by growth in arrivals from the Asia Pacific region.
Full Report Details at
Tourism in China receives a great deal of support from the government, with annual investment since 2001 in excess of US$4bn (according to figures from the World Travel & Tourism Council), helping to promote the country as a tourist destination worldwide.
As well as this investment, the tourism industry benefits from the country's well-developed transport infrastructure, with strong air, road and rail connections. With a solid foundation already in place, China's transport infrastructure can only improve, and we expect to see continued growth in air and rail industry value.
Investors are increasingly attracted to China, as the domestic tourism market is gradually being opened up through a process of industry liberalisation, particularly in relation to hospitality, giving greater scope for foreign direct investment. Travel agencies also are being opened up to foreign involvement, which will help to increase China's share in the international travel market by making the country more accessible to Western countries.
Our key events and forecasts include:
* Key events in 2014 include a variety of festivals, such as the Dragon Boat festival, International Kite festival and Spring Flower festival, and national holidays, particularly National Day in October.
* We forecast rapid growth in the hotel market, as reflected by the rapid growth of major hotel chains. This includes the opening of a new Marriott hotel in Shanghai in 2013, its 14th in the country, and the expansion of InterContinental Hotel Group's Hualuxe brand.
* The number of hotels overall is expected to increase throughout the forecast period to reach around 19,550 properties by 2018.
* Improved international economic conditions mean inbound travel is expected to increase by between 5.8% and 10.1% per year between 2014 and 2018. Outbound travel will also show strong growth to reach over 122mn - an exceptionally large potential market.
* This quarter BMI has maintained China's overall Tourism Industry Risk/Reward rating of 51.2. This places it ahead of Cambodia but behind Laos to keep it in 16th place in the overall Asia Pacific market.
Report Table of Contents:
The table of contents for this report is available upon request.
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.