2012-10-26 14:31:07 - Fast Market Research recommends "Colombia Consumer Electronics Report Q4 2012" from Business Monitor International, now available
BMI projects that Colombian consumer electronics spending will grow by about 12% in US dollar terms in 2012 to US$4.9bn, with demand fuelled by strong credit growth, rising house prices and falling unemployment. In 2012, BMI expects a slight slowdown in consumer spending, but despite this overall trading conditions remain favourable. Strong credit growth and falling unemployment should help to drive demand for consumer electronics goods such as tablets and smartphones. Although we believe the Colombian consumer will have to adjust its spending patterns in light of a rising debt burden, domestic demand is stronger than ever in Colombia as the burgeoning middle class continues to stimulate household consumption. Drivers will include rising PC and mobile phone penetration, the launch
of digital TV broadcasting and 3G mobile network roll-outs. The development of a modern retail sector will also encourage growth over the forecast period
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/479410_colombia_consumer_electronics_report_ ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Computer hardware sales: US$1.4bn in 2011 to US$1.5bn in 2012, +10% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged and tablets are expected to be a growth area, with strong uptake of the devices in the Colombia market.
* AV sales: US$2.1bn in 2011 to US$2.3bn in 2012, +6% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with flat screen TV sets the main growth area as consumers upgrade their old models.
* Handset sales: US$869mn in 2011 to US$1.0bn in 2012, +16% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with smartphones to account for a higher proportion of mobile sales.
Risk/Reward Rating: Colombia's score was 45.6 out of 100.0, which gave it fifth place in our latest Latin American CE RRR table, ahead of Peru, Argentina and Venezuela. BMI expects rising penetration of consumer electronics devices such as smartphones and flat-screen TV sets and over time the market has the potential to rise in our rankings.
Key Trends & Developments
* The government's Vive Digital programme offers a long-term boost to the PC market, with a pledge to eliminate import tariffs on connectivity devices and to take measures to enhance credit availability for such devices. Incentives under the Vive Digital plan included a VAT exemption programme for low-income households looking to obtain an internet connection.
* The migration to digital TV broadcasting is currently scheduled for completion in 2019, although government sources have suggested this could be brought forward by two years. To maintain revenue growth in the face of price declines, vendors will focus on product innovation, with drivers including improved display quality and wider screens, as well as design and features such as wireless technology.
* With the growing popularity of mobile broadband services, smartphone usage should grow rapidly. There will also be increasing demand for mid-range phones as consumers upgrade from their entry models. Even for low-tier subscribers, desire for features such as cameras and support for MP3/MP4 are increasingly important requirements.
Report Table of Contents:
- Colombia Consumer Electronics Market SWOT
- Colombia Political SWOT
- Colombia Economic SWOT
- Colombia Business Environment SWOT
Americas Risk/Reward Ratings
- Americas Risk/Reward Ratings, Q412
Consumer Electronics Market
- Table: PC Sales, 2009-2016
- AV Devices
- Table: AV Sales, (US$mn), 2009-2016
- Mobile Handsets
- Table: Mobile Communications, 2009-2016
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Consumer Electronics Market
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview, 2009-2016
- Colombia - GDP By Expenditure, Real Growth %, 2008-2016
- Table: Colombia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Colombia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Colombia's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Colombia's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.