2013-10-13 11:01:06 - New Transportation market report from Business Monitor International: "Colombia Shipping Report Q4 2013"
BMI forecasts a mixed performance at the three primary ports of Colombia in 2013, following the three facilities' throughput results for the first months of the year. Although Buenaventura is set to enjoy strong growth in box throughput following the first half of the year results, Cartagena is set for a decline given the throughput levels recorded over the January to April period. Nevertheless, we are confident with regards to growth across the port sector over the medium term, as Colombia is set to be one of the countries with the strongest growth in the region, averaging real GDP growth of 4.5% to 2017, according to BMI forecasts.
Throughput volumes will be supported not only by the growing dry bulk export
story, in particular coal, but also by container volumes which will rise on the back of strong private consumption growth, forecast at 4.5% this year.
Full Report Details at
Headline Industry Data
* The Port of Cartagena will see total tonnage volume increase by 30.0% to 16.90mn tonnes in 2013.
* Container traffic at Cartagena will fall by 3.0% to 1.96mn twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs).
* Volume at the Pacific port of Buenaventura will rise by 2.1% to 9.90mn tonnes, while container traffic will rise 12.2% to reach 558,591 TEUs.
Key Industry Trends
DP World Expands In Colombia: DP World in July acquired a 19% stake in Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Buenaventura (SPRBUN), the company that operates the largest Pacific Coast container terminal in Colombia. BMI forecasts growth in container throughput of 12.2% at Buenaventura in 2013, following the 11.6% expansion in box handling enjoyed at the facility in 2012.
Ports Prepare To Meet Demand From FTAs: Significant investment in Barranquilla Port is in response to greater demand from expanding trade. Since Colombia has recently signed a growing number of Free Trade Agreements (FTAs), increased pressure on ports infrastructure was to be expected. This investment will contribute to bridging Colombia's transport infrastructure gap, making the country's exports more competitive.
Prodeco Opens Puerto Nuevo Coal Port: Swiss firm Glencore International's Colombian coal unit Prodeco opened its new US$550mn Puerto Nuevo Coal Port in the Colombian province of Magdalena in June. The port has been designed to meet the more stringent environmental regulations. It will load coal
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Port Of Cartagena Throughput
- Port Of Buenaventura Throughput
- Table: Major Port Data, 2010-2017
- Table: Trade Overview, 2010-2017
- Table: Key Trade Indicators, 2010-2017
- Table: Main Import Partners (US$mn)
- Table: Main Export Partners (US$mn)
- Colombia Container Shipping Market Overview
Industry Trends And Developments
- Industry Trends And Developments
Shipping - Global Industry View
- Box Supply: Overcapacity Remains, But ETRs Offer Hope
- Table: Q213 Container Vessel Deliveries
- Table: Container Line Mega Vessel Newbuild Plans
- Table: Q213 New Container Ship Orders
- Box Rates: Tough 2013, ETRs Remain The Ones To Watch
- Table: 2012 & 2013 SCFI Europe Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview
- Table: 2012 & 2013 SCFI USWC Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview
- Box Demand: Static Outlook Continues, But 2014 Looks Brighter
Global Company Strategy
- Maersk Line
- Mediterranean Shipping Company
- CMA CGM
- Evergreen Line
- COSCO Container Lines Company
- Economic Analysis
- Table: Colombia - GDP by Expenditure, Real Growth %
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: Colombia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Colombia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Colombia's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Colombia's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.