2013-03-11 12:25:59 - New Consumer Goods market report from Business Monitor International: "Costa Rica Tourism Report Q2 2013"
This quarter BMI has revised and restructured its tourism reports, incorporating a greater range of data and focusing on the hotel industry, the value of the tourism industry itself, and the impact of macroeconomic factors.
The Costa Rica tourism report examines the significant long-term potential currently being demonstrated by the local tourism industry, but flags concerns about the proliferation of drug-trafficking throughout Central America, which poses a challenge to Costa Rican authorities and could potentially deter tourism to the region. We also analyse the growth strategies being employed by the country to continue to attract arrivals, including airport and port expansions, as well as continued efforts to remain an eco-tourism destination.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/552287_costa_rica_tourism_report_q2_2013.asp ..
Costa Rica is anticipating a
positive year for arrivals in 2013, after 2012 arrivals grew by an estimated 2.2% to reach around 2.2mn. BMI forecasts that arrivals growth will pick up and reach 5.4% in 2013, as recovering confidence in the economy in the USA, a major source market. encourages increased tourism to Costa Rica. The large number of arrivals from the USA illustrates Costa Rica's success in marketing itself as a high-end environment specialising in ecotourism, with the country now a popular destination for resort holidays and package tours.
Government support for the industry is also helping to bolster the country's attractiveness. For example, investment in expanding the road networks and building second-tier airports is set to reap benefits in terms of encouraging tourists to explore more parts of the country. This may also encourage more backpackers, as some are currently put off by Costa Rica's reliance on air transport as the major mode of travel.
Public security is currently a major issue for the government of President Laura Chinchilla, with rising crime rates sparking calls for a greater crackdown by police. This rising crime is largely a spill over from the drug-trafficking routes through the country, which transport the drugs from the Andean source countries towards the US. However, BMI would emphasise that Costa Rican crime rates are still extremely low compared to the rest of Central America, and note that the police and security forces appear capable of controlling this rise in crime.
* BMI has added a table of global hotel groups present in Costa Rica, noting that major chains such as Marriott, Starwood and Hilton are now present in the country.
* BMI has also highlighted the importance of the growing hotel industry to the country's GDP, providing calculations of industry value of hotels and restaurants and the proportion of GDP that this comprises.
* BMI has also analysed outbound and inbound tourist arrivals, noting that inbound tourist arrivals will remain strong over 2013, with outbound departures also registering impressive growth, demonstrating growing consumer incomes within Costa Rica.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Inbound Tourism
- Table: Costa Rica Inbound Tourist Arrivals, 2010-2017
- Table: Inbound Tourism, Top 10 markets by arrivals, 2007-2017
- Outbound Tourism
- Table: Outbound Tourism, 2007-2017
- Table: Outbound Tourism Top 7 Destinations, 2010-2017
- Table: Costa Rica Tourism Receipts, 2010-2017
- Table: Travel Methods, 2010-2017
- Table: Hotels and Restaurants Industry Value. 2007-2017
- Table: Hotel Accommodation 2010-2017
- Table: COSTA RICA - CURRENT ACCOUNT
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Tourism Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Americas Tourism Risk Reward Ratings
- Security Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Global Hotel Group Presence in Costa Rica
- Table: Table: Costa Rica Transport Infrastructure Projects - Airports
- Grupo Barcelo
Global Industry Overview
- Table: Global Tourism Indicators, International Tourist Arrivals, 2009-2017
- Table: global tourism indicators, hotel and establishment units, 2009-2017
- Table: Global Sporting Calendar, 2013-2022
- Table: Global Assumptions
- Table: Global & Regional Real GDP Growth, % chg y-o-y
- Table: Developed States - Real GDP Growth Forecasts, %
- Table: Emerging Markets - Real GDP Growth Forecasts, %
- Table: BMI VERSUS BLOOMBERG CONSENSUS REAL GDP GROWTH FORECASTS (%)
- Costa Rica
- Table: Costa Rica's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Costa Rica's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Costa Rica's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Costa Rica's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Tourism Industry
- Tourism Ratings - Methodology
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.