2014-03-13 15:40:02 - Cobicistat (HIV) - Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022 - a new market research report on companiesandmarkets.com
Cobicistat (HIV) - Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022 - GlobalData has released its new PharmaPoint Drug Evaluation report, "Cobicistat (HIV) - Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022". Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), the causative agent of AIDS, has claimed millions of lives since its emergence. However, the advent of antiretroviral therapy (ART) has transformed the face of HIV/AIDS from a deadly disease to a manageable chronic condition for most infected individuals. Antiretroviral treatment not only reduces the viral load and reconstitutes immune function, but also decreases infection incidence rates by limiting viral transmission. The treatment algorithm in HIV has characteristically involved multiple drug regimens designed to tackle the virus on different levels. In the recent past, simplified dosing regimens through
the emergence of single tablet regimens (STRs) or fixed dose combination (FDC) therapies have become increasingly popular amongst physicians and patients alike by increasing clinical efficacy thresholds and enabling patient compliance.
Gilead has developed a novel pharmacokinetic booster, cobicistat (previously known as GS-9350), which acts as an inhibitor of human cytochrome P450 3A (CYP3A) isoforms. The drug increases the systemic exposure of co-administered medications that are metabolized by CYP3A enzymes, such as protease inhibitors. This increases the co-administered drugs bioavailability, thereby enabling less frequent dosing of the co-administered medications (PIs or elvitegravir). Cobicistats mechanism is similar to AbbVies Norvir (ritonavir), but cobicistat lacks intrinsic antiretroviral activity. When dosed as a booster, the antiretroviral activity of Norvir is minimal, which positions cobicistat as a threat to Norvir as a PK booster, since neither can claim antiviral activity. Studies that compared cobicistat with Norvir used a CYP3A substrate, midazolam for clearance. Both Norvir and cobicistat potently inhibit midazolam from being cleared. That means that a drug that would be metabolized by CYP3A can have sustained antiviral activity in the presence of cobicistat (Mathias et al., 2010). Cobicistat is already approved for use in the US as a component of Gileads Stribild (Sax et al., 2012). Gilead also filed for EMA approval in the EU, and Japan Tobacco filed an application with the Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices (PMDA) in Japan for a drug with Stribilds formulation in November of 2012. In June 2012, Gilead Sciences also filed a New Drug Application (NDA) with the FDA for approval as a standalone booster to be used with pre-existing PIs that are currently used with AbbVies Norvir (Gilead Sciences, press release, July 24, 2012). GlobalData estimates that cobicistat will be launched in the US and EU in 2013, and in Japan by 2014.
- Overview of HIV, including epidemiology, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology and treatment guidelines as well as an overview on the competitive landscape.
- Detailed information on Cobicistat including product description, safety and efficacy profiles as well as a SWOT analysis.
- Sales forecast for Cobicistat for the top nine countries from 2012 to 2022.
- Sales information covered for the US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK, Japan, Brazil and China
Reasons to buy
- Understand and capitalize by identifying products that are most likely to ensure a robust return
- Stay ahead of the competition by understanding the changing competitive landscape for HIV
- Effectively plan your M&A and partnership strategies by identifying drugs with the most promising sales potential
- Make more informed business decisions from insightful and in-depth analysis of Cobicistat performance
- Obtain sales forecast for Cobicistat from 2012-2022 in top nine countries (the US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK, Japan, Brazil and China)
Click for report details: www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Healthcare-and-Medical/Market ..
Browse all Healthcare and Medical Market Research Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Healthcare-and-Medical/Market ..
Browse all Healthcare and Medical Company Profile Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Healthcare-and-Medical/Compan ..
Browse all Latest Market Research Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/All/Market-Research?aCode=f3f ..
Companiesandmarkets.com is a leading online business information aggregator with over 300,000 market reports and company profiles available to our clients. Our extensive range of reports are sourced from the leading publishers of business information and provide clients with the widest range of information available. In terms of company profiles, Companiesandmarkets.comâs online database allows clients access to market and corporate information to over 100,000 different companies. We provide clients with a fully indexed database of information where clients can find specific market reports on their niche industry sectors of interest.