2014-02-19 14:52:02 - Immunoglobulins Market to 2019 - a new market research report on companiesandmarkets.com
The global immunoglobulin market stood at $3.6 billion in 2012, having grown at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 6% from 2006. It is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 6.9% to $5.8 billion by 2019. It is dominated by two indications which account for 60% of Intravenous Immunoglobulin (IVIG) usage.
In terms of regional markets, the US accounts for the largest share with 71.4%, followed by the top five countries in Europe (the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain) with 24.3% and Japan with 4.3%. Following a high number of product approvals between 2003 and late 2012, the US market witnessed a growth rate of 5.7% from $1.8 billion in 2006 to $2.6 billion in 2012, and is
estimated to reach $4 billion by 2019.
The immunoglobulin market in the top seven markets is estimated to grow at a slightly higher growth rate in the forecast period due to continuing demand for immunoglobulin treatment for several indications, rising disease awareness, approval of existing IVIG products for new indications, the expected approval of new Subcutaneous Immunoglobulin (SCIG) and global blood product shortages.
Continuing Demand from Major Indications and Approval of Subcutaneous Immunoglobulin to Give Slight Boost to the Market
In terms of replacement therapy, Primary Immunodeficiency (PI) accounts for the highest IVIG consumption with 32%, and for long-term treatment, Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP) accounts for the highest with 28%. PI is an indication for which all existing IVIG products have received approval from both the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency (EMA). The FDA has approved only one product for CIDP, namely Gamunex-C in 2008, while the EMA has approved three products since 2004. The IVIG market for PI grew at a CAGR of 10.7% from 2006 to $1.2 billion in 2012 and is estimated to grow at 11% from 2012 to $2.4 billion in 2019. Since 2006, the FDA has approved five IVIG products and two SCIG products for the treatment of PI, the latest being IVIG Bivigam by Biotest in December 2012. Only one product has been approved for CIDP since 2008 in the US market, which accounts for a large share of the global market. This is reflected in a lower growth rate of 4% from 2006 to $1.0 billion by 2012. However, this segment is expected to maintain its growth rate to reach $1.4 billion by 2019, accounting for 24% of the total immunoglobulin market.
Two SCIG products, CSLs Vivaglobin and Hizentra, received approval for PI in the US in 2006 and 2011 respectively, while Gammanorm was approved by the EMA in 2005 for PI, Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP), Guillain-BarrÃ© Syndrome (GBS) and Chronic Lymphocyte Leukemia (CLL). Another SCIG product, Baxters HyQvia, also received a positive opinion from the EMA for marketing authorization in Europe for PI in March 2013. The trend towards SCIG is also reflected in the product pipelines. CSLs NextGen 16% for PI and Hizentra for CIDP are two SCIG products in late-stage clinical trials, while Baxters SCIG is under investigation for approval for PI in the US.
Possible Approval of Immunoglobulin for Alzheimers Disease Could Double the Growth Rate
The use of immunoglobulin as a treatment option for Alzheimers disease is being investigated by all major companies in this segment, and the product pipeline is dominated by R&D in Phase II and III clinical trials. The recently completed Phase III study results of Baxters Gammagard Liquid are anticipated in mid-2013. Similarly, Octapharma completed a Phase II study of its Octagam 10% IVIG for Alzheimers disease and published positive results in January 2013. With a significant number of Alzheimers patients awaiting better treatment options, the approval of either of these products could change the immunoglobulin market landscape.
- Annualized market data for the immunoglobulin market from 2006 to 2012 and forecast to 2019
- Analysis of the seven key therapeutic segments: PI, CIDP, MMN, MG, CLL, GBS and ITP
- Analysis of the immunoglobulins markets in the leading global geographies: the US, the top five European countries, and Japan
- Market characterization of the immunoglobulin market, covering size, revenue analysis by geography, annual cost of therapy, and epidemiology
- Key drivers and barriers that have a significant impact on the market
- Coverage of key marketed products, approved indications, and safety and efficacy profiles
- Coverage of the pipeline molecules in various phases of drug development
- Competitive profiling of the leading companies: Baxter, Biotest, Bio Products Laboratory, CSL Behring, Grifols, and Octapharma
- Key M&A activity and licensing agreements between 2012 and mid-2013 in the global immunoglobulin market
- Overview of the immunoglobulin markets in Asia-Pacific and China, covering regulations, key players and marketed products
Reasons to buy
- Align your product portfolio to the markets with high growth potential
- Develop market-entry and market-expansion strategies by identifying the leading therapeutic segments and geographic markets poised for strong growth
- Develop key strategic initiatives by understanding the key focus areas of the leading companies
- Exploit in-licensing and out-licensing opportunities by identifying products that could fill portfolio gaps
Click for report details: www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Healthcare-and-Medical/Market ..
Browse all Healthcare and Medical Market Research Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Healthcare-and-Medical/Market ..
Browse all Healthcare and Medical Company Profile Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Healthcare-and-Medical/Compan ..
Browse all Latest Market Research Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/All/Market-Research?aCode=f3f ..
Companiesandmarkets.com is a leading online business information aggregator with over 300,000 market reports and company profiles available to our clients. Our extensive range of reports are sourced from the leading publishers of business information and provide clients with the widest range of information available. In terms of company profiles, Companiesandmarkets.comâs online database allows clients access to market and corporate information to over 100,000 different companies. We provide clients with a fully indexed database of information where clients can find specific market reports on their niche industry sectors of interest.