2014-02-19 09:54:03 - MediFocus: Medical Devices for the Treatment of Obesity - a new market research report on companiesandmarkets.com
The obesity medical device market is expected to experience significant change in the near future, as new products come to market, older products see a decline in sales, physician adoption increases worldwide, and supporting device reimbursement is put in place. While bariatric surgery techniques have demonstrated notable improvements in safety and efficacy compared with years prior, aversion to intervention has curbed operation prevalence to less than 1% of suitable obese candidates.
Moreover, diabetes indications further drive obesity medical devices sales by lowering the threshold body mass index for patients to receive implantation, and comorbidities like this can often necessitate intervention. With limited options in regards to pharmacotherapy, and near-unanimous disinclination to surgery, there is a void in treatment options, and medical
devices are up for substantial adoption.
Whereas the obesity treatment device industry has previously been dominated by restrictive devices such as the Lap-Band (Allergan) and artificial fullness devices like the Orbera (Allergan), we now expect noteworthy adoption of malabsorption devices, including the EndoBarrier (GI Dynamics) and the soon-to-be-approved ValenTx (ValenTx), in lieu of waning interest in gastric banding and non-adjustable intragastric balloons, which have seen a suggestive decline in popularity as long-term outcomes have been published, demonstrating lack of efficacy and frequent explantations.
Long-sought gastric electrical stimulation technology has advanced significantly in recent years, and two devices available on the market today, the Abiliti (IntraPace, Inc.) and DIAMOND Tantalus (MetaCure, Inc.), have been gaining physician interest internationally. Besides targeting the stomach, similar stimulation technologies have been developed for the hypothalamus, utilizing deep brain stimulation, including the NeuroSigma device, a device that is currently in preclinical testing. In addition, matching advancements in neuronal blocking technology have enabled patient-specific vagal blocking therapy, with one device already approved, the Vbloc Maestro System (EnteroMedics), and additional products expected to enter development in the future.
Other device technologies which have undergone noteworthy improvement include endoscopic suturing and stapling tools, capable of stomach reduction surgery via transoral, incisionless access, which is increasingly popular for those strongly opposed to scars. Lastly, despite artificial fullness devices seeing a decline in sales, physicians are nonetheless excited about the development of the TransPyloric Shuttle (Baronova) and Full Sense Device (BFKW), which are both still in development, but tout next-generation technology and could potentially see widespread adoption. Numerous other devices are in development as the obesity medical device industry continues to grow.
While surgical procedure volumes remain low, the number of physicians performing these surgeries is small as well, which will drive minimally invasive device sales. Device use is ideal for treating patients who wish to lose weight, but are not morbidly obese surgical candidates.
This report offers a comprehensive analysis of the global obesity medical device market, including development and approval of artificial fullness devices, deep brain stimulation devices, endoscopic surgical devices, gastric electrical stimulation devices, gastric emptying aspiration tools, malabsorption devices, neuronal blocking technology, and restrictive devices. Included within is an analysis of the pipeline and approved obesity treatment products, with a focus on safety, efficacy and commercial positioning, as well as an examination of companies currently active in the field.
The report identifies and evaluates key trends and advances shaping the global obesity medical device market, highlighting testimonials from top physicians around the world who are already utilizing the devices, with a focus on next-generation technologies. The report provides insight into the competitive obesity medical device landscape, including new companies approaching commercialization and pipeline products in development. This report was built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in-house analysis by our team of cardiovascular medical device experts.
- An overview of the international obesity treatment medical device landscape
- Investigation of current and future market competition for obesity medical devices
- Competitive assessment with device strengths and weaknesses analyzed
- Marketed and pipeline product profiles covering efficacy, safety, clinical study details, regulatory approvals, and commercial positioning
- Evaluation of technology trends to assess pipeline product strength
- Overview of all devices in development, including design considerations, efficacy reports, and physician perception
- Coverage of key market players with portfolio assessment and SWOT analysis
- Direct quotes from Key Opinion Leaders (KOL) currently using obesity medical devices
Reasons to buy
- Understand the trends shaping and driving the obesity medical device markets
- Realize device preferences of physicians who have performed dozens of implantations already
- Drive revenues, formulate effective sales and marketing strategies, and gain in-depth understanding of the competitive landscape
- Assess competitiveness of products in market by understanding the strengths and weaknesses of current competition
- Take a comprehensive look at the market´s device pipeline and identify promising, paradigm-shifting products
- Create an effective counter-strategy to gain a competitive advantage against those currently in the market
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present the best opportunities for growth
- What´s the next big thing in the global Obesity Medical Device market? Identify, understand and capitalize
Click for report details: www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Healthcare-and-Medical/Market ..
Browse all Healthcare and Medical Market Research Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Healthcare-and-Medical/Market ..
Browse all Healthcare and Medical Company Profile Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Healthcare-and-Medical/Compan ..
Browse all Latest Market Research Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/All/Market-Research?aCode=f3f ..
Companiesandmarkets.com is a leading online business information aggregator with over 300,000 market reports and company profiles available to our clients. Our extensive range of reports are sourced from the leading publishers of business information and provide clients with the widest range of information available. In terms of company profiles, Companiesandmarkets.comâs online database allows clients access to market and corporate information to over 100,000 different companies. We provide clients with a fully indexed database of information where clients can find specific market reports on their niche industry sectors of interest.