2013-12-12 18:41:08 - New Fixed Networks market report from Business Monitor International: "Greece Telecommunications Report Q1 2014"
The growth of the broadband market, including fixed and mobile broadband services is, along with pay-TV services, the ray of light in an otherwise challenging outlook. Greece's mobile market remains under pressure on numerous fronts, with consumer spending being reined in as a result of the government's latest austerity measures and operator revenues squeezed by cuts to termination rates. Were the market less reliant on prepaid services, this would seep through to the telecoms sector only gradually. However, this is not the case and we have already seen mobile ARPUs contract sharply in H212 and H113.
* The broadband market continued its strong growth in 2012, with fixed subscriptions up by 9.1%, to 2.689mn, but dedicated mobile broadband subscription
growth was much stronger, with subscriptions up by 28.1%, to 408,000.
* The mobile market has continued its rebound from large subscription losses in 2010, with year-on-year (y-o-y) growth of 0.5%, to 15.398mn subscriptions at the end of June 2013.
* However ARPU rates dropped sharply y-o-y to June 2013, with cuts to mobile termination rates adding to the downward pressure on ARPU from price competition and economic conditions.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/723571_greece_telecommunications_report_q1_2 ..
Key Trends & Developments
Despite a challenging economic environment, operators have continued to invest in infrastructure. In September 2013, OTE confirmed that it is to upgrade both its mobile and fixed networks between 2014 and 2018. The company has budgeted the projects at US$1.62bn, with work to include the financing of a new generation of networks in both segments. OTE will also invest in an expansion of its pay-TV service capabilities.
Meanwhile, Vodafone confirmed that it intends to invest some of the proceeds from the recent sale of its stake in US major Verizon Wireless to speed up 4G network development in Greece. The operator did not report specific figures for investment in Greece, but Vodafone, under its Project Spring plan, is planning to raise CAPEX by an additional US$9.5bn over three years across Europe and emerging markets. In June 2013, Vodafone announced the full launch of its 4G LTE network, which had been offering limited services since Q412.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile ARPU (EUR) - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data And Forecast
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Western Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Greece Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2012
- Key Developments
- Mobile Growth
- Market Shares
- Table: Greek Mobile Market, Q213
- Subscription Mix
- Usage (MoU/ARPU)
- Mobile Content
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: Market Overview
- Table: Cosmote
- Table: Vodafone
- Table: WIND Hellas
- Table: Greek Fixed-Line Market - Total Voice Minutes, Q412 and Q411 (mn)
- Table: Greece's Fixed Broadband Market, Q412
- Local Loop Unbundling
- Table: Alternative Operators' LLU Connections, 2011-2012
Industry Trends And Developments
- Regulatory Overview
- Table: Greece Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Legisation And Market Liberalisation
- Regulatory Developments
- Key Players
- Table: Key Players - Greece Telecoms Sector
- Table: Selected Operators' Finance Performance
- Hellenic Telecommunications Organization (OTE)
- Vodafone Greece
- WIND Hellas
- Hellas Online (HOL)
- Pace Sees Opportunities And Challenges From European Consolidation
- Table: Pace: Revenue Breakdowns By Product Type & Geography (US$mn)
- Progress In Transformation
- Europe Is A Challenging Market
- Aurora Networks Buy Key To Diversification Strategy
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: Greece's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Greece's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Greece's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Greece's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Table: Glossary Of Terms
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
- Table: Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.