2013-02-17 14:45:57 - New Retailing market report from Verdict Research: "H&M | Verdict Company Briefing"
H&M continues to expand its physical presence around the world, with new stores in China, the US and Eastern Europe driving future growth. Its focus on new brands, with the launch of & Other Stories in spring 2013 will also broaden its appeal. This Verdict company briefing includes estimated sales data and market shares for H&M’s total clothing, womenswear, menswear, childrenswear and accessories.
Scope of this Report
* Justify and inform development of having an international presence by uncovering H&M's global expansion strategy.
* Inform development of designer and celebrity collaborations in clothing by uncovering H&M's activity in this area and customer reaction.
* Understand the range of purchasing channels that H&M offers its customers in order to maximise the potential
of your own ecommerce proposition.
* Benchmark H&M's UK performance in clothing by using Verdict's proprietary sales data for womenswear, menswear, childrenswear and accessories.
Full Report Details at
While H&M’s appeal remains focused on the budget customer under 30, the development of COS and & Other Stories will widen its appeal to customers in their 30s and 40s. A wider demographic profile will give H&M a greater insurance against demographic shifts as well as changing patterns of spending power.
Markets outside western Europe only contribute around 30% of H&M’s sales, but growth has been impressive, with sales in China for example growing 33.0% in the first nine months of 2011/12. In these markets, H&M’s fashionable brand image and tie ups with global celebrities are tapping into the homogenisation of fashion tastes across boundaries.
While a few retail brands like Topman dominate the men's high fashion sector of the UK market, we believe there is a gap for stylish men's clothing at a midmarket price point. H&M is in an ideal position to push into this area, given that it already has a strong foothold in the market.
Reasons to Get this Report
* How have H&M's UK clothing sales and densities developed and how does Verdict see this changing?
* What are H&M's aims for international expansion of stores and online? What is the likely outcome?
* What is H&M's share of the UK market for womenswear, menswear, childrenswear and accessories? What is Verdict's market share prediction for 2013?
* Has H&M continued its designer collaborations with any new ranges? What is Verdict's opinion on their success and their future in the business?
* How has H&M's new concession format in the UK expanded its presence and has it impacted its position in the clothing market?
Report Table of Contents:
* Sourcing costs putting profits under pressure;
* Lags behind competitors in introducing new brands;
* Worldwide expansion drives sales growth;
* COS and & Other Stories widen demographic reach;
* Online strategy faces hold ups.
* Growing new markets and brands but profits under pressure
* Verdict outlook
* Move into new concepts still lags Inditex
* Recent key events
* Plans to launch new brand in Europe and the US
* Designer collaborations show scope for moving upmarket
* Expands new brands in UK
* Grows with franchising in the Middle East and North Africa
* Accelerates pace of expansion with growth in Asia and US
* Expansion strategy includes South America
* Allocates instore areas to relaunched Plus size range
* Increases celebrity collaborations
* And continues designer tie ups
* UK sales no longer driven entirely by space
* Operating margin takes a tumble as sourcing costs rise
* China, Russia and US lead store expansion
* UK clothing performance
* Growth opportunities remain in menswear and accessories
* Clothing density picks up as space expansion finally shows signs of slowing
* Market shares
* Verdict company briefing
* Financial information
* Market size calculation
* Sales density calculation
* Further reading
* Global Retail FreeView
* Ask the analyst
* Table: H&M company information 2013
* Table: H&M retail proposition 2013
* Table: COS retail proposition 2013
* Table: Monki retail proposition 2013
* Table: Weekday retail proposition 2013
* Table: H&M global key operating statistics 2008–13e
* Table: H&M UK key operating statistics 2008–13e
* Table: H&M trading record 2003–13e
* Table: H&M UK store portfolio in global context 2003 – 13e
* Table: H&M global store numbers by retail brand 2003 – 13e
* Figure: H&M store in Los Angeles, 2013
* Figure: Tara Lynn models H&M+ 2012
* Figure: H&M associations: Lana Del Rey, Joel Kinnaman and David Beckham 2012
* Figure: H&M group sales and growth to November 2008–13e
* Figure: H&M sales by country and region year to November 2013e
* Figure: H&M group operating profit to year end November 2006–11
* Figure: H&M UK clothing sales mix 2013e
* Figure: H&M UK clothing sales to November 2008e–13e
* Figure: H&M UK clothing sales per sq ft to November 2008e–13e
* Figure: H&M UK women's, men's, childrenswear and accessories market shares 2008–13e
* Figure: H&M UK clothing market share 2008–13e
About Verdict Group
With over 20 years' experience, Verdict Research is the UK?s leading authority on retailing, and publishes unrivalled independent analysis. Verdict reports, forecasts, briefings, consumer research and bespoke consulting services provide clients with a complete picture of the UK and international retail arena, helping retailers, manufacturers, service suppliers, city analysts and consultants to fully exploit opportunities within the sector. View more research from Verdict Research at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1005
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.