2013-03-13 17:50:13 - Fast Market Research recommends "Indonesia Consumer Electronics Report Q2 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
Indonesia's consumer electronics market is forecast to grow around 12% in 2013, driven by economic growth and strong demand for smartphones and flat-panel TV sets. The consumer story in Indonesia continues to be one of the brightest in the world and Indonesia's consumer electronics market remains one of the most untapped markets in Asia. In 2012, strong wage growth continued and we expect private consumption to grow by a solid 5.5% in 2013 after expanding by 5.4% in 2012, although we note that the Indonesian consumer could eventually be hit by external factors should conditions in the global economy deteriorate further.. Despite the challenging nature of distribution in the country, due to its archipelagic structure, a PC penetration rate of
less than 20% and digital camera household penetration of less than 20% offer a continued growth opportunity.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Computer hardware sales: US$4.2bn in 2012 to US$4.7bn in 2013, +9% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to analyst modification, but growing affordability and credit availability are driving sales in the consumer segment.
* AV sales: US$4.5bn in 2012 to US$5.0bn in 2013, +13% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged but the flat-screen TV set market continues to grow strongly year-on-year (y-o-y).
* Handset sales: US$5.3bn in 2012 to US$6.0bn in 2013, +13% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised due to adjustment but smartphones now accounting for above 20% of the local handset market.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/552313_indonesia_consumer_electronics_report ..
Risk/Reward Ratings: Indonesia's score is 42.5 out of 100.0. Indonesia ranks 10th in the Asia region in our latest RRR table, ahead of regional peers such as the Philippines and Thailand. Indonesia's vast size and currently low penetration across a range of consumer electronics product categories should see the country rise in the rankings over time.
Key Trends & Developments
* Indonesia is again expected to be one of the fastest-growing regional PC markets, continuing the doubledigit growth of recent years. Rising PC penetration points to exceptional growth potential with the main drivers being growing affordability and more credit availability. The release of a new generation of Windows-8 based devices should drive upgrades in 2013.
* TV sets will be the main driver of AV category sales growth over the forecast period as Indonesian consumers upgrade their CRT sets. TV set penetration is estimated at around 75% in Indonesia, leaving room for continued growth. A booming market in the past few years has spurred the development of a local TV set manufacturing industry and led to a fall in imports even as the market soared.
* The Indonesian market has also seen a surge in popularity of smartphones, but, as in other emerging Asian markets the grey sector remains a significant feature of the market, with cheap knock-off models, many from China, ubiquitous in the market. However, the introduction in January 2013 of new restrictions on handset imports should prove efficacious. Meanwhile, the number of mobile users will continue to expand, fuelled mainly by younger people among whom the popularity of social networking applications has prompted an explosion in mobile-phone ownership.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Table: Consumer Electronics Overview, 2010-2017
- Economic Activity
- Trade Deterioration Slowing...
- ...But Risks Seen In Portfolio Account
- Risks To Outlook
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Consumer Electronics Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Table: Computer Sales, 2010-2017
- Table: Table: AV Demand, 2010-2017
- Mobile Devices
- Table: Table: Mobile Telephone Industry Sales, 2010-2017
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Table: Electronics Industry Overview, 2010-2017
- Table: Table: Computer Production And Exports, 2010-2017
- Table: Table: AV Production, 2010-2017
- Table: Table: Manufacturing, 2010-2017
- Regulatory Development
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: Indonesia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Indonesia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Indonesia's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Indonesia's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.