2013-03-22 17:02:01 - New Fixed Networks research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
BMI View: Iran's mobile penetration was reported as exceeding 110% in the third quarter 2012. Although the fixed-line and internet sectors continue to record positive growth, they remain restricted by tight government regulation, censorship and underinvestment in network infrastructure. All three sectors present significant growth opportunities, but we expect the mobile sector to continue to outperform because of superior network investment and competition between the operators.
* MTN revealed that it had 39.382mn subscribers at the end of Q312.
* MTN ARPU fell to US$7.4 in the third quarter of 2012.
* Besides MTN, there has been no new data released by the ITU or other operators, and therefore new data in our Q213 report are based on BMI
* Quarterly mobile growth averaged 3.5% in the 12 months to September 2012.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/552324_iran_telecommunications_report_q2_201 ..
Despite jumping up three places in our Q113 ratings, Iran remains unchanged in 11th place in Q312. Its score fell slightly however, due to reductions in Industry Rewards and Country Risks score. Net additions were 1.4mn, the lowest since December 2010, and political tensions remain high. Sanctions imposed by the Western world continue to cripple the economy and we have seen a recent collapse in imports as a result. Private consumption is likely to remain subdued for some time to come.
Key Trends And Developments
In December 2012 Iran rolled out its own video-sharing website Mehr, which is operated by the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB). The website will allow people to share their short videos and access IRIB-generated material.
Iran will serve as an internet service provider to other countries by March 2013, according to the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Ministry. This development will take place after the first phase of the Europe-Persia Express Gateway (EPEG), which is a communications highway connecting Europe with Eastern Asia, starts operations by March 20 2013.
In November 2012 the Iranian ICT Minister Reza Taqipour proposed manufacturing a joint satellite for the use of telecoms services for the Economic Cooperation Organisation (ECO) member states.
In November 2012 Reza Taghipour pushed for South African mobile operator MTN to sell a 21% stake in MTN Irancell. The minister claimed the stake sale was included in the terms of Irancell's concession.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - ARPU - Historical Data & Forecasts
- Fixed Line
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Historical Data & Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010 - 2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Middle East and North Africa Risk/Reward Ratings
- Industry Rewards
- Country Rewards
- Industry Risks
- Country Risk
- Table: MENA Q213 RRR Table
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Iran Mobile Market Regional Comparison, 2011
- Key Developments
- Market Growth
- Table: Iran - Mobile Market September 2012
- Market Shares
- Mobile Content
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: Iran Mobile Market Overview
- Table: MTN Irancell
- Table: Hamrahe Aval (Mobile Communications Company of Iran)
- Table: Taliya (Rafsanjan Industrial Complex)
- Data Networks Key To VAS Development
- Crossovers Dominate The Landscape
- OTT Players And Content Providers: Collaboration vs Competition
- Apps Will Thrive On Advanced Data Networks
- M2M Offers Opportunities
- Fixed Line
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Selected VAS Services
- Table: Mobile Contract Wins
- Table: Iran's Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Regulatory Developments
- Table: Key Players: Iranian Telecoms Market
- MTN Irancell
- Network Solutions
- Table: Key Altobridge Commercial Deployments
- Table: Iran's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Iran's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Iran's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Iran's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.