2013-02-01 01:47:36 - New Transportation market report from Business Monitor International: "Israel Shipping Report Q1 2013"
Israel's two major ports, Ashdod and Haifa, held up better than expected in 2012, supported by strong domestic consumption. While we forecast this to slow in 2013, we maintain that the facilities will record positive growth. Longer term, plans for new terminals at the two facilities, capable of handling larger ships, offer hope for the long-term outlook.
Headline Industry Data
* 2013 Port of Haifa total tonnage throughput to grow by 3.4%, and to average 2.9% to 2017.
* 2013 box handling at Haifa will grow by 2.9% to 1.40mn TEUs. Growth projected to average 2.5% to 2017.
* Israel's total trade is forecast to see real growth of 3.5% in 2013, from a 4.0% expansion in imports and a 3.0%
growth in exports. Growth will average 2.9% over the medium term.
Key Industry Trends
Full Report Details at
Much Needed Investment In Container Terminals
BMI believes that Israel is wise to set in motion a long-term plan for the expansion of its Mediterranean ports Ashdod and Haifa. We have highlighted previously how the country's facilities are not equipped to deal with the ever-larger container ships being launched, and this move addresses this. The new terminals will provide upside potential to the ports over the longer term.
Papo Maritime Submits ILS15mn Deposit For Port Privatisation
Papo Maritime submitted an ILS15mn (US$ 3.84mn) deposit in September to guarantee its bid for the proposed privatisation of the Israeli Port of Eilat. Papo Maritime was the sole bidder for the port after Gold Bond Group and Gadot Chemical Tankers and Terminals failed to submit the required deposit.
Zim To Add Ashdod To ZCA Service
Israel-based Zim Integrated Shipping Services' ZCA service now calls at the Israeli Port of Ashdod with effect from November. This will enable the company to provide better export and import service to customers in the central and southern part of Israel. This move intends to reinforce and enhance the services already offered by the company to the Israeli market.
Key Risks To Outlook
Continued political turmoil in Israel's Middle Eastern neighbours, especially within Egypt and Syria, offers both up and downside risk to BMI's forecasts for Israel's macroeconomics and port throughputs. Further weakness in the economies of the US and eurozone could depress external demand and constrain economic growth.
Report Table of Contents:
- Israel Shipping SWOT
- Israel Political SWOT
- Israel Economic SWOT
- Israel Business Environment SWOT
Global Overview - Container Shipping
- 2013 Offers Promise, But Will Be Tough
- Transpacific Demand To Tick Up
- Supply Issues To Become More Acute
- Another Year Of Strict Capacity And Rate Management
Global Overview - Dry Bulk Shipping
- 2013: Stimulus Offers Short Term Blip, Demand To Slip
- 2013: Supply Problems Remain And It Is Too Tough For Some
Global Overview - Liquid Bulk Shipping
- 2013 To Offer Little Respite For Tanker Operators
- Cross-Basin Trade To Aid Supertanker Operators
- Chinese Pool To Drive Down Rates
- Sanctions Hit Crude Shipping Sector
Industry Trends And Developments
Israel Container Shipping Market Overview
- Port of Haifa Throughput Outlook
- Port of Eilat Throughput Outlook
- Table: Major Port Data, 2010-2017
- Table: Trade Overview, 2010-2017
- Table: Key Trade Indicators, 2010-2017
- Table: Main Import Partners (US$mn), 2002-2009
- Table: Main Export Partners (US$mn), 2002-2009
- Zim Integrated Shipping Services (Zim)
Israel Demographic Outlook
- Table: Israel's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Israel's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Israel's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Israel's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.