2013-02-03 08:24:08 - New Fixed Networks market report from Business Monitor International: "Japan Telecommunications Report Q1 2013"
BMI View: Japan's telecommunications market has played a key role in driving economic growth by equipping consumers and businesses with a comprehensive network of fixed-line, mobile and broadband services. Although the country is facing an ageing population and limited subscriber growth potential, operators are able to maintain revenue growth through technological advancements as well as the constant introduction of new products and services. 4G, which is starting to gain traction, will play a vital role in the future.
* The mobile market continues to expand, with penetration set to rise to 127% by 2017.
* 3G and FTTH are services driving growth in the broadband sector. We expect fixed and mobile broadband penetration to exceed 70% by end-2017, when
86% of the population is forecast to be using internet services.
* ARPU levels are expected to continue trending down despite the launch of 4G services as traditional voice usage wanes.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/529392_japan_telecommunications_report_q1_20 ..
Key Trends And Developments
Softbank has announced an agreement to acquire eAccess, which will make it the country's secondlargest mobile operator. The transaction carries a hefty premium, which we believe is justified in light of the limited subscriber growth potential in the mature market and strong competition from rivals. Although the transaction will add 4mn subscribers to Softbank's customer base, we believe the premium was largely for eAccess' network infrastructure and spectrum, which are valuable assets considering the growing demand for mobile data.
KDDI, which owns stakes in both J:Com and JCN, has outlined a proposed schedule that will merge the two companies by September 2013, with the new J:Com to be equally-owned by KDDI and Sumitomo Corporation. According to KDDI, the new entity will have 52% of the multi-channel market and 49% of the internet market. The deal will also enable cross-bundling of KDDI mobile services with J:Com fixedline, broadband and pay TV offerings, while giving KDDI access to the J:Com network for data offloading..
NTT DoCoMo's share price plunged to the lowest level since the firm began trading in 1998 after it announced a downward revision of its fiscal year 2012/2013 (April-March) forecast due to higher operating expenses. The higher operating expenses were the result of efforts to strengthen NTT DoCoMo's cloud business, expansion into new business opportunities and higher equipment costs on the back of an increase in handset purchase prices and the number of handsets sold to agent resellers.
KDDI launched 2.1GHz 4G/LTE services nationwide on September 21, 2012, followed by 800MHz and 1.5GHz services on November 2. The company claims to have the highest coverage of the three mobile operators, set to rise to 96% of the population by March 2013. In 2013 KDDI plans to increase the speed of the service from 75Mbit/s to 112.5Mbit/s.
Japan maintained its top position in BMI's latest Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings with a Telecoms Rating score of 74.9. Although 2013 is shaping up to be a challenging year for the Japanese economy, as the outlook for global growth dims and impediments in the domestic political scene continue to stall progress on the policy front, the country has a highly competitive telecoms market and strong customer demand for advanced services.
Partial Table of Contents:
- Japan Wireline SWOT
- Japan Mobile SWOT
- Japan Political SWOT
- Japan Economic SWOT
- Japan Business Environment
- Asia Pacific
- Table: Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings Q113
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Table: Mobile - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: ARPU - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Fixed Line
- Table: Fixed Line - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Internet - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Japan Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2011
- Key Market Developments
- Mobile Growth
- Market Shares
- Table: Japanese Blended ARPUs 2011-2012 (JPY)
- Table: Japanese Voice ARPUs 2011-2012 (JPY)
- Table: Japanese Data ARPUs 2011-2012 (JPY)
- Mobile Content/Value-Added Services
- Value-Added Services Timeline
- Table: Selected VAS Services, 2011-2012
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: Japan Market Overview
- Table: NTT DoCoMo
- Table: KDDI
- Table: Softbank Mobile
- Table: eAccess
- Mobile Content
- Regional Outlook
- Table: Selected NFC Developments, 2011
- Fixed Line
- Table: Selected Fixed-Line Operators' Subscriber Bases ('000)
- Table: Number Of Broadband Subscriptions ('000)
- Table: NTT East And NTT West: ADSL/FTTH ('000)
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: 3G Mobile Subscriber Market, June 2012
- Table: Market Developments
- Regulatory Environment And Industry Developments
- Table: Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities In Japan
- Competitor Analysis
- Table: Key Players: Japan Telecoms Sector
- Table: Selected Operator Revenues 2006-2012 (FY end-March 31 unless stated) (US$mn)
- NTT Corporation
- KDDI Corporation
- Softbank Corp
- Table: Vendor Revenues (US$mn)
- Table: Net Sales By Geography (EURmn)
- NSN Selected Asia Activities
- Table: Japan's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.