2012-10-24 13:46:22 - Fast Market Research recommends "Chile Freight Transport Report Q4 2012" from Business Monitor International, now available
BMI maintains its broadly positive outlook of the Chilean freight transport sector for Q412. We caution, however, that volume growth is expected to slow, in line with our view that the Chilean economy's robust economic growth is likely to continue cooling in the coming quarters. We believe that declining exports, combined with a moderation of private consumption and gross fixed investment, will weigh on Chile's headline growth in 2012 and put pressure on the country's freight volumes. While we expect the Chilean economy to expand by a solid 4.8% in 2012, we do not believe growth will return to the 5.0% level any time soon. High labour costs, a moderation in external demand and a fiscally conservative government all point
to a moderate 4.2% average growth rate over the next five years.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/479395_chile_freight_transport_report_q4_201 ..
We see the domestic consumer demand slowing, and this will have a knock-on negative effect on demand for imports of containerised goods, and therefore for freight transport volumes. Chile's external demand story is also likely to weaken and we still believe that import growth will outpace that of exports, putting downside pressure on volumes of dry bulk goods travelling by road and rail, and going through dry bulk terminals. This could be exacerbated if our view for a slowdown in Chinese economic growth plays out. Given the significance of copper exports to Chile's economy, any significant drop in copper export demand - in particular from Asia, which comprises around 65% of demand - or a large correction in copper prices, could push net exports further into negative territory and pose significant downside risk to our freight transport forecasts for the country.
Headline Industry Data
* Air freight tonnage is forecast to rise by 6.4% in 2012 to reach 327,200 tonnes.
* Total tonnes at the Port of Valparaiso forecast to rise 15.5%, to 12.1mn tonnes in 2012, with average growth of 11.8% over the next five years.
* Rail freight tonnage is forecast to rise 3% in 2012, reaching 28.2mn tonnes, with average growth of 1.7% over the next five years.
Key Industry Trends
Lan-Tam Merger Could See Bright Future Ahead
After nearly two years of clearing regulatory hurdles, LAN and TAM merged to form Latam Airlines on June 22. The new airline is the biggest carrier in Latin America and the largest in the world in terms of market capitalisation. BMI believes the airline will be well placed to take advantage of growing volumes in the region.
Port of Valparaiso Launches Tender For Second Terminal
Valparaiso has opened a tender for a second container terminal. Redevelopment plans are under way for the expansion of Terminal 2. The tender process is open until December 20 for a concession of 30 years.
Risks To Outlook
The risks to our outlook are mainly on the downside. One risk is the possibility that Chile will not be able to improve its freight transport infrastructure to keep up with demand. Infrastructure deficits limit expansion. If Chile does not improve efficiency and capacity, there is risk that, as ports and road and rail networks begin to reach the limits of their capacity, importers will look elsewhere for their supplies.
A further risk is the possibility of a hard landing in China. A sharper slowdown in the Chinese construction sector would result in a drop-off in demand for Chilean raw materials exports such as copper and iron ore, with a negative effect on volumes carried via Chile's freight transport network.
Report Table of Contents:
- Chile Freight Transport Industry SWOT
- Chile Political SWOT
- Chile Economic SWOT
- Chile Business Environment SWOT
Industry Trends And Developments
- Rail Freight
- Table: Rail Freight, 2009-2016
- Air Freight
- Table: Air Freight, 2009-2016
- Maritime Freight
- Table: Maritime Freight, 2009-2016
- Table: Trade Overview, 2009-2016
- Table: Key Trade Indicators, 2009-2016
- Table: Chile's Main Import Partners (US$mn), 2002-2009
- Table: Chile's Main Export Partners (US$mn), 2002-2009
Global Oil Products Price Outlook
- Table: BMI's Refined Products Forecasts
- Table: Refining Marker Margins (US$/bbl)
- Domestic Politics
- Long-Term Political Outlook
- Table: Chile - Economic Activity, 2011-2016
- LATAM Cargo
- Ferrocarril del Pacifico SA (FEPASA)
- Compania Chilena de Navegacion Interoceanica SA (CCNI)
- Table: Chile's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Chile's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Chile's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Chile's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Transport Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.