2013-02-26 01:30:51 - Fast Market Research recommends "Chile Telecommunications Report Q2 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
BMI View: The Chilean telecoms market continues to make strides, gaining subscribers in mobile phones and mobile/fixed broadband sectors. We have adjusted our five-year forecasts to reflect the growth that Chile continues to experience, as it represents the most mature market in the Latin American region. Mobile number portability has proven to be hugely successful, and plans to expand coverage to rural settlements have also been completed. MVNOs are proving to have a significant impact on the market, with VTR and Virgin Mobile adding more than 100,000 each since their introductions in 2012. This should help drive growth and foster competition, showing Chile's strength as a dynamic market that will benefit subscribers.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/541169_chile_telecommunications_report_q2_20 ..
Mobile broadband is
helping to drive internet penetration rates, which passed 34% a year ahead of Subtel's scheduled date. 4G auctions have taken place and BMI expects its launch will be more successful than other regional players, particularly as the operators look to share infrastructure to reduce costs. Fixed-line phones continue to experience a decline, a trend we have observed across emerging markets, and we do not expect to see growth in this sector in our five-year forecasts. We have adjusted these forecasts to reflect the decline in this sector over the long term, as the mobile market becomes stronger and replaces demand for fixed lines entirely.
* Since the introduction of MNP in January 2012, 750,000 subscribers had changed their operator by December 31 2012. This has been extremely successful, lowering tariffs by 25% and benefiting smaller operators as subscribers migrate away from larger providers.
* By the end of Q312, mobile broadband connections had grown to 4.34mn and fixed broadband to 2.17mn subscribers. This represents a 12.7% increase and a 2.4% rise respectively.
* Net additions bounced back in Q312 to 255,000 after a record low 82,000 in Q212, but are still behind 2011 rates. This is due to maturation of the Chile market, at 145.9% penetration in Q312. ARPUs remained buoyant. Entel led with CLP8,900, followed by Movistar with EUR12.4 and Claro with CLP6,105. Entel retained the top spot in market share.
Chile remained in second place in our Q213 Risk/Reward Ratings, despite a second downward revision of its country risks score. Chile offers investors a stable operating environment and is one of the most advanced telecoms markets in Latin America, although its GDP growth forecasts are muted.
Key Trends & Developments
Claro, Movistar and Entel were awarded 4G tenders in July 2012, picking up spectrum in the 2.6Ghz band, with offers exceeding CLP6bn (US$12mn). The operators are keen to minimise costs and are evaluating a joint venture for the launch of 4G in Chile.
Subtel wants Chile's landlines to be unified with a single tariff by 2014. In October 2012 the regulator was awaiting a favourable decision from Chile's competition courts to be able to implement this.
Claro revealed plans to invest US$500mn developing its infrastructure in Chile in 2013.
Legislation for a new regulator to work alongside Subtel is due to be passed in early 2013.
MVNO Falabella has formed a partnership with Entel to launch services over its network.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Fixed Line/Broadband
- Business Environment
- Table: Chilean Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: ARPU Forecast 2010-2017
- Fixed Line
- Table: Chilean Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Chilean Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Latin America Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Q213 Risk/Reward Ratings
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Chile Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2012 (latest data available)
- Key Developments
- Market Growth
- Market Share
- Table: Chile Mobile Market, Q213
- Mobile Content
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: Mobile Market Overview ('000)
- Table: Movistar
- Table: Entel PCS
- Table: Claro
- Latin America Regional Mobile Content 2013
- Fixed Line
- Table: Telefonica Chile Revenue (CLPbn)
- Table: Chile Local Access Market September 2012
- Table: Q312 Chile Fixed-Line Market By Region ('000)
- Table: National Long-Distance Traffic
- Table: Chilean Internet Market September 2012
- Table: Dedicated Broadband Connections By Technology (000)
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Chile Selected Trends And Developments
- Table: Chile - Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Table: Key Companies - Chile Telecommunications Sector
- Table: Selected Operators Financial Indicators
- Telefonica Chile
- Telefonica Moviles (Movistar)
- VTR GlobalCom
- Pace Potential In Emerging Markets
- Table: Pace Recent Financial Results (US$mn)
- Recovery And Lofty Ambitions
- Latin America
- Table: Pace: Latin America STB Mix (By Volume)
- Table: Chile's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Chile's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.