2013-10-08 11:18:23 - Fast Market Research recommends "Switzerland Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
The 2012-2017 forecast period is likely to witness the proliferation of government initiatives supporting the growth of Switzerland's generic medicines market, which will increasingly attract prominent international players in the field, as well as prompt local companies to get more involved in the segment. www.fastmr.com/prod/689005_switzerland_pharmaceuticals_healthcar ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: CHF6.58bn (US$7.02bn) in 2012 to CHF6.30bn (US$6.13bn) in 2013; -4.3% decline in local currency terms.
* Healthcare: CHF64.86bn (US$68.18bn) in 2012 to CHF66.11bn (US$64.38bn) in 2013; +1.9% growth in local currency terms.
Risk/Reward Ratings: In BMI's Q413 Risk/Reward Ratings (RRRs) for Western Europe, Switzerland stood in third position in the Western Europe matrix. Switzerland's score for the quarter stands at 71, well above the regional average of 67.
Full Report Details at
Key Trends And Developments:
Multinational drugmaker Novartis posted a 1% increase in sales in US dollar terms (3% in constant currency terms) to US$14.49bn in Q213, up from US$14.30bn in Q212, with all divisions contributing to growth in constant currencies (cc): Pharmaceuticals (+1%), Alcon (+6%), Sandoz (+3%), Vaccines and Diagnostics (+18%) and Consumer Health (+12%). Excluding the impact of patent expiries, underlying sales grew 8% in constant currencies. This performance was fuelled by growth products such as Gilenya (fingolimod), Afinitor (everolimus), Tasigna (nilotinib), Xolair (omalizumab) and Jakavi (ruxolitinib), which together contributed USD4.5bn or 31% of net sales, up 13% over the Q212. Generics impacted sales by approximately USD0.8bn, mainly due to Diovan (valsartan) and Zometa (zoledronic acid). Currency had a negative impact of 2 percentage points, mainly from the weakening yen.
Roche's Q213 sales reached CHF11.6bn (US$12.5bn), a 5% year-on-year (y-o-y) increase in local currency terms (+4% in US dollars and +6% at constant currency (CC) exchange rate), from CHF8.6bn (US$9.3bn) in Q112. The firm did not release information about net income in its financial results release.
BMI Economic View: Having expected consumer prices to turn the corner in 2013, there is so far little evidence that the current run of deflation is near finishing. In light of the current data, we have pushed back our projection for a return to positive inflation to 2014 from 2013 previously. This will be driven by a recovery in domestic demand and loose monetary policy, with the SNB's discretionary management of the franc providing currency stability. However, we warn of the risk posed by a further sell-off in global commodity prices, which could yet fan Swiss deflationary pressures.
BMI Political View: The Swiss government looks close to agreeing a bilateral deal with the US authorities that would allow local banks to provide account information to the Department of Justice. This follows other bilateral agreements with European governments seeking to crack down on tax avoidance and shore up their public finances. We believe that this will be the start of successive efforts to reform Swiss banking, but stress that reluctance among some Swiss politicians will mean that the pace of reform will remain piecemeal.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- BMI industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Switzerland Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Switzerland, Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Table: Switzerland Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2016
- Prescription Market Forecast
- Table: Switzerland Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Switzerland Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Switzerland Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: OTC Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Switzerland Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Analysis
- Table: Switzerland - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Switzerland Risk/Reward Ratings
- Western Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Market Overview
Industry Trends And Developments
- Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare Insurance
- Table: 2013 Health Insurance Premiums
- Pharmaceutical Wholesale And Retail Sector
- Research And Development
- Biotechnology Sector
- Clinical Trials
- Regulatory Development
- Intellectual Property Regime
- Pricing Regime
- Reimbursement Regime
- Competitive Landscape
- Pharmaceutical Sector
- Merck Serono
- Merck & Co
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.