2012-07-03 08:01:07 - New Pharmaceuticals market report from Datamonitor: "Treatment Algorithms: Schizophrenia - New antipsychotic launches underwhelm"
Early uptake data suggest that new product launches such as Fanapt (iloperidone; Novartis) and Latuda (lurasidone; Dainippon Sumitomo) have failed to make an impact on the schizophrenia treatment landscape. These products will find it increasingly difficult to supplant the market leaders as generic competition heralds the end of an era for multi-billion dollar atypical antipsychotic brands.
* Quantify the prevalent, diagnosed, and treated schizophrenia patient populations in each of the seven major markets.
* Analyze physician prescribing habits by drug class, formulation, and line of therapy.
* Understand how and why treatment, polypharmacy, and compliance rates vary in the seven major markets.
* Identify opportunities for increasing market share through effective product positioning.
that just under half of prevalent schizophrenia cases do not report their symptoms and seek treatment, while one third of patients do not receive an accurate diagnosis. The nature of schizophrenia complicates its presentation, as sufferers may lack the drive or insight into their symptoms needed to seek help.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/434409_treatment_algorithms_schizophrenia_ne ..
Abilify (aripiprazole; Bristol-Myers Squibb/Otsuka) is the most commonly used antipsychotic brand for first- and second-line treatment of schizophrenia. In a market where treatment decisions are largely driven by safety profiles, Abilify is crucially associated with lower incidences of common antipsychotic side effects than some of its competitors.
The three latest antipsychotics to reach the market have all experienced very slow uptake and have so far failed to penetrate first-line therapy. Their underwhelming market shares reveal that the US schizophrenia drug market is now saturated with atypical antipsychotics and that the market not very receptive to new, undifferentiated treatments
Reasons to Get this Report
* How does each drug's patient share vary by country and line of therapy?
* What can be done to influence the patient pathway to increase market share?
* What is the realistic patient population that a new market entrant can target?
* How have generic antipsychotics affected prescribing behaviors in the seven major markets?
* What proportion of patients experience treatment a complete response with currently available antipsychotics?
Partial Table of Contents:
* Strategic scoping and focus
* Datamonitor key findings
* Related reports
COUNTRY TREATMENT TREES
* Introduction to treatment trees
* Seven major markets
DISEASE DEFINITION AND DIAGNOSIS
* Disease definition
* Environmental risk factors
* Genetic risk factors
* Pathophysiology of schizophrenia
* Schizophrenia is typified by positive, negative, and cognitive symptoms
* Presentation and diagnosis
* Just over one in two prevalent schizophrenia sufferers report symptoms and seek treatment
* One third of prevalent schizophrenia patients are either undiagnosed or misdiagnosed
* Treatment rates
* Schizophrenia has a higher pharmacological treatment rate than other common psychiatric disorders
* Referral patterns
* Schizophrenia is largely managed in specialist care
* The Japanese referral pathway differs to those in the US and Europe
* Age and sex
* Schizophrenia typically afflicts more males, although the treated population is similar between sexes
* Line of therapy
* More than half of patients have changed from their initial antipsychotic regimen
CURRENT TREATMENT OPTIONS
* Overview of the available drug classes
* Conventional antipsychotics
* Atypical antipsychotics
* Prescribing trends
* Class trends
* Formulation trends
* Combination therapy trends
* Generic prescribing trends
* Changes in therapy
* First line
* Second line
* Treatment outcomes
* Response to therapy
* Progression through lines of therapy
* Journal papers
* Datamonitor reports
* Physician research methodology
* Physician sample breakdown
* The survey questionnaire
* Section 1: Drug Treatments for Schizophrenia
* Section 2: Acute treatment of schizophrenia
* Section 3: Maintenance treatment of schizophrenia
* Section 4: Schizophrenia - Compliance
* PharmaVitae Explorer database
* Contributing experts
* Conferences attended
* Report methodology
* Table: Schizophrenia symptoms
* Table: Referral patterns of schizophrenia patients in the seven major markets 2012
* Table: Key treatments currently approved for schizophrenia across the seven major markets, 2012
* Table: Antipsychotic use in the seven major markets, by class 2012
* Table: Antipsychotic use in the seven major markets, by formulation 2012
* Table: Combination antipsychotic use in the seven major markets 2012
* Table: First-line antipsychotics prescribed for schizophrenia in the seven major markets 2012
* Table: Second-line antipsychotics prescribed for schizophrenia in the seven major markets 2012
Full Table of Contents is available at:
The Datamonitor Group is a world-leading provider of premium global business information, delivering independent data, analysis and opinion across the Automotive, Consumer Markets, Energy & Utilities, Financial Services, Logistics & Express, Pharmaceutical & Healthcare, Retail, Technology and Telecoms industries. Datamonitor's market intelligence products and services ensure that you will achieve your desired commercial goals by giving you the insight you need to best respond to your competitive environment. View more research from Datamonitor at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1002
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.