Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Kazakhstan Power Report Q2 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
PR-Inside.com: 2014-03-27 13:46:00
We anticipate healthy growth in Kazakhstan's power sector over BMI's 10-year forecast period, both in terms of generation and consumption. Coal will retain its dominance, accounting for over 80% of the country's energy generation by 2023. However, non-hydro renewables will grow rapidly, with a slew of foreign-financed wind and solar projects in the pipeline. The government is also planning to restart the exploitation of nuclear energy, helped by Kazakhstan's vast uranium wealth. Power production will comfortably meet demand, with Kazakhstan's dependence on energy imports decreasing over the 10-year period. For much of the forecast period, system losses will be considerable, but steady investment in transmission and distribution infrastructure will narrow the supply/demand gap significantly.
Key trends and developments in the Kazakh electricity market:
* In February 2014, President Nazarbayev confirmed plans for a new nuclear power plant near Lake Balkhash and for one or two 300MW units at Aktau, alongside smaller cogeneration units in regional cities.
* In February 2014, technical problems in Uzbekistan meant that gas supplies to the South Kazakhstan Oblast were temporarily suspended.
* In January 2014, the Deputy Prime Minister's office confirmed that the government would launch over 30 renewable energy facilities by 2020, ensuring that renewables are a major driver of energy generation over the forecast period.
* In January 2014, BISOL Group completed the installation of a 2MW, ground-mounted solar power plant in the city of Kapchagay.
* In January 2014, the German company Ecap Solutions announced its intention to build six solar power plants in the Zhambyl region in southern Kazakhstan by 2016, each of which will have a capacity of 50 MW.
* In January 2014, in the wake of an agreement to join the Eurasian Economic Union, spearheaded by Russia, the Kazakh Antimonopoly Agency set out plans to transit electricity through Russia to its isolated undersupplied western regions.
* In December 2013, Canada and Kazakhstan agreed on a US$200mn uranium conversion plant with the capacity to feed 40 nuclear power plants.
* In December 2013, the Kazakhmys company offloaded its 50% stake in Ekibastuz, the largest coal-fired power station.
* In November 2013, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan announced plans to construct a high-voltage transmission line between the two countries.
* In November 2013, an ICSID tribunal partly upheld claims by the US energy company AES that reforms to Kazakhstan's electricity sector had breached the Energy Charter Treaty and a bilateral investment treaty.
Full Report Details at
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.