2013-08-20 09:05:27 - Fast Market Research recommends "Latvia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
After several years of budget cuts, which have had an impact on the healthcare sector, Latvia's pharmaceutical market is re-emerging with steady growth forecast. Spending on pharmaceuticals will be driven by improved macroeconomic conditions. Meanwhile, the country's manufacturing sector should benefit from its anticipated membership of the eurozone, which remains on track.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: LVL222mn (US$409mn) in 2012 to LVL231mn (US$434mn) in 2013; +4.1% in local currency terms and +6.2% in US dollar terms. Forecast broadly unchanged from previous quarter.
* Healthcare: LVL946mn (US$1.74bn) in 2012 to LVL997mn (US$1.88bn) in 2013; +5.4% in local currency terms and +7.5% in US dollar terms. Forecast broadly unchanged from previous quarter.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/670575_latvia_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_rep ..
Latvia remains in 17th position out of the 20 countries surveyed in the Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) region in Q413. Latvia's new composite Reward score is considerably lower than previously, indicating the country's challenging business environment, particularly in terms of potential industry rewards.
Key Trends And Developments
* Latvia-based Grindeks has reported that, in accordance with its budget and plan for 2013, it is planning to invest at least LVL4mn (US$8mn)in development in 2013. The firm commented that most of the investment will be directed towards product quality assurance. The largest investment project, already under way, is the renovation of Grindeks' microbiology laboratory, including upgrading it with new technological equipment. In 2013, the planned cost of the project is LVL1mn (US$2mn). During the year, the company also plans to buy a number of product licences, to launch the registration of these products and to implement relevant clinical trials. In order to increase production capacity, Grindeks is going to invest in acquisition and installation of certain manufacturing equipment. The company added that no concrete decision has yet been taken regarding the establishment of new production units outside Latvia.
* Latvia firm Olainfarm's preliminary consolidated sales increased 7% year-on-year (y-o-y) to LVL3.38mn (US$6.44mn) in May 2013. The company achieved its biggest sales increases in Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Georgia, with sales rising 152%, 111% and 108% respectively in the three regions over the month. The company's preliminary consolidated sales rose 7% y-o-y to LVL19.68mn (US$37.49mn) in the January-May 2013 period. Olainfarm achieved its most rapid May sales increases in the Netherlands, Spain and Tajikistan, with sales growing 1,982%, 233% and 129% in the three countries in the month. Olainfarm's major sales markets in May were Russia, Latvia and Belarus.
BMI Economic View: We have adjusted our forecast for consumer price inflation in Latvia for 2013, and expect that it will remain within ECB convergence criteria up to its expected accession date in January 2014. In light of our recent eurozone and Latvian growth downgrades, we are adjusting our inflation forecasts for Latvia to account for slightly weaker domestic demand, and now forecast consumer prices to average 0.7% over 2013, from a previous forecast of 1.0% ending the year at 0.9%, from a previous forecast of 1.2%. Looking ahead, we see some medium-term challenges to price stability, primarily arising from tightness in the labour market.
BMI Political View: While our core view remains that Latvia will adopt the euro in January 2014, we highlight two risks that could potentially delay eurozone accession. First, the issue of growing domestic opposition towards euro area membership, and second, the high level of non-resident deposits in the domestic banking sector.
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.