2013-12-14 11:18:03 - New Defense market report from Business Monitor International: "Malaysia Defence & Security Report Q1 2014"
The domestic security agenda continues to be dominated by the fallout of a remarkable incident in February 2013, when Sabah in East Malaysia was invaded by a force of 200 armed men, who claimed the territory on behalf of the Sulu Sultanate (the Sulu Archipelago now being a part of the Philippines). The action resulted in an assault on the area by the Malaysian military, which left at least 31 of the militants dead. It also strained Malaysian-Philippine relations, and may yet have implications for the ongoing peace process in the southern Philippines. While there is every reason to hope that this event was a one-off, the government has established a new East Sabah Security Zone (ESSZONE), and the military
command has begun outlining organisational changes and procurement objectives with a view to significantly boosting its capabilities in the East of the country.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/723600_malaysia_defence_security_report_q1_2 ..
Major defence procurements were put on hold in the months preceding the election, but these are now expected to resume in the second half of the year. A new defence minister, Hishammuddin bin Tun Hussein - a cousin of Prime Minister Najib - is now in place following the election, and his arrival should lend new impetus to Malaysia's defence programmes.
In particular, the Air Force is keen to press on with the procurement of a new multirole fighter aircraft (MRCA). Although the requirement is relatively small at around 18 aircraft, would-be suppliers have already begun lobbying fiercely for the contract. Boeing, Dassault, Eurofighter and Saab are all interested in fulfilling the Malaysian requirement. As of mid-2013, the air force leadership appeared to be leaning towards the Saab Gripen, which the Swedish firm has offered to lease to Malaysia, reducing costs and enabling rapid delivery of the aircraft. A formal RfP is anticipated before the end of 2013.
The Air Force is also planning to acquire a new airborne early warning and control aircraft in the near future. As with the MRCA, a tender is expected to be issued in 2H 2013, with Saab and Northrop Grumman seen as the companies likely to be competing for the order.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Malaysia Security SWOT
- Malaysia Defence SWOT
- Business Environment
- Defence budget
- Table: Malaysia's Defence Expenditure, 2010-2017
- Armed Forces
- Table: Malaysia's Armed Forces, 2001-2009 ('000 personnel, unless otherwise stated)
- Table: Malaysia Manpower Available For Military Service, 2010-2017
- Defence Sector Production
- Table: Malaysia's Defence Trade Balance, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Table: Malaysia's Defence Imports, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Table: Malaysia's Defence Exports, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Key risks to our forecast
- Table: Malaysia - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Asia Security Risk Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Regional Security Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific State Vulnerability To Terrorism Index
- Malaysia Security Risk Ratings
- Malaysia Defence Market Overview
- Armed Forces
- Domestic Industries
- Corruption Scandals
- Malaysia Security Overview
- Domestic Threats
- Regional Threats
- International Threats
- Composite Technology Research Malaysia (CTRM)
- Malaysia Marine and Heavy Engineering (MMHE)
- SME Ordnance
- Political Risk Analysis
Global Industry Overview
- Global Political Outlook
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Sector-Specific Methodology
- Risk/Reward Rating Methodology
- Sector-Specific Methodology
- Table: Security Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.