2013-12-08 14:24:14 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Belgium Telecommunications Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
The most recent operator data for Q213 show that the new Telecoms Law had an immediate impact, allowing many mobile subscribers to change service provider part-way through an existing contract. Churn rates rose appreciably and operators took the opportunity to eliminate inactive SIMs from their records, giving them a better insight into growth opportunities. Meanwhile, multiplay product bundles appear to be the order of the day, with operators such as Belgacom/Proximus, Mobistar and Telenet keen to enable subscribers to access their complete product ranges anytime, anywhere. This should boost mobile data revenues further and justify the considerable expense of building next-generation networks.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/723534_belgium_telecommunications_report_q1_ ..
* The mobile market continued to contract in terms of subscriptions
in Q113, with the loss of 14,000 subscriptions from Q113
* ARPU rates also declined, with the medium-term trend of declines exacerbated by the cut to mobile termination rates in January 2013, resulting in steeper declines.
* Meanwhile, M2M usage continues to grow rapidly, based on data provided by Mobistar, which showed 28.9% y-o-y subscription growth to the end of June 2013.
Key Trends & Developments
In July 2013, Wallonian cable operator Voo has finally launched mobile telephony services. However, services are offered via rival Mobistar, rather than via the 3G spectrum it bought in 2011. Further, Voo is currently targeting only its cable TV subscribers in the initial phase of roll-out. While this does not prevent Voo from launch its own mobile network, BMI believes that the decision to enter the mobile market as an MVNO (and one focused on serving its own user base) will not sit well with the Belgian regulator which still continues to be frustrated with the lack of consumer choice in the mobile arena.
In H113 it was announced that the Belgian market was set to lose one converged service provider - but to gain a new provider. In May 2013 Mobistar announced that it was suspending sales of its internet, fixed telephony and TV services to the residential market on May 22, blaming a hostile regulatory regime. Mobistar continued to offer its services to its current residential customers until September, when services ended. Due to a fixed, closed market, Mobistar said there was a lack of competition and so it cannot offer its fixed services to customers.
While Mobistar's withdrawal is a loss to the market, the launch of services by Clearwire Belgium will help to compensate. In June 2013 Clearwire Belgium announced plans to begin rolling out its new 4G LTE network in Brussels early in Q413. By using the TD-LTE technology standard, as well as its underutilised WiMAX infrastructure, the company expects to keep roll-out costs to a minimum and focus on the kind of triple-play service propositions that have found favour elsewhere in the market. Clearwire - which is rebranding itself as b-lite - is to offer a competitively-priced triple-play service that will rival traditional cable broadband operators such as Telenet and VOO, as well as next-generation products such as IPTV offerings from Belgacom, Base and Mobistar.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Table: Belgium Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Monthly Blended Mobile ARPUs (EUR), 2010-2017
- Fixed Line
- Table: Belgium Telecoms Sector - Fixed-Line - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Belgium Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2009-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Western Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Belgium Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2012
- Key Developments
- Mobile Growth
- Market Shares
- Table: Belgium Mobile Market (Q213)
- Subscription Mix
- Usage (MoU & ARPUs)
- Table: ARPU Breakdown (EUR)
- Mobile Content/VAS
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: Market Overview
- Table: Proximus
- Table: Mobistar
- Table: BASE
- Western Europe Mobile Content
- Monetising Footfall
- Interoperable M-Commerce A Stronger Proposition
- Positioning Key To M2M Success
- Fixed Line
- Converged Services
- IPTV Services
- Converged Service Operator Data
- Table: Belgacom
- Table: Telenet
- Table: Mobistar
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Belgium: Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Legislation And Market Liberalisation
- Industry Developments
- Mobile Termination Rates
- Table: Belgium MTR Glide Path (All EURc pm)
- Table: Key Players - Belgium Telecoms Sector
- Table: Selected Telecoms Operator Financial Indicators
- Pace Sees Opportunities And Challenges From European Consolidation
- Table: Pace: Revenue Breakdowns By Product Type & Geography (US$mn)
- Progress In Transformation
- Europe Is A Challenging Market
- Aurora Networks Buy Key To Diversification Strategy
- Table: Belgium's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.