2012-09-03 14:17:02 - New Computer Technology market report from Business Monitor International: "Canada Information Technology Report Q3 2012"
BMI View: Canadian IT spending is expected to reach US$46.9bn in 2012, up 3%, with BMI downwardly revising its forecast due to expectations of a macroeconomic cooling in H212. Government spending will continue to be constrained by a focus on cutting costs, with cost reviews being conducted by Toronto and Ontario, but there have been a spate of large tenders, highlighting continued opportunities within the sector. BMI expects Canada's IT market to continue to report moderate overall growth in 2012, although much will depend on the overall business environment.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Computer hardware sales: US$14.9bn in 2011 to US$15.1bn in 2012, +2% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to macroeconomic factors, although Canadian PC sales
reported positive growth in 2011.
Software sales: US$9.3bn in 2011 to US$9.7bn in 2012, +4% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to analyst modification and given the large public sector deficits, vendors will need to provide clients with ways to reduce costs by increasing efficiency.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/451228_canada_information_technology_report_ ..
IT Services sales: US$21.4bn in 2011 to US$22.1bn in 2012, +4% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to analyst modification with the market shaped by a continued move towards distributed computing and service-oriented architectures.
Risk/Reward Ratings: Canada's score was 70.7 out of 100.0. Canada ranks second in our latest RRR table, behind the US, but still ahead of Latin American giants such as Brazil and Mexico. The country ranked third for its Industry Rewards score, but its overall rating was boosted by a relatively high Country Rewards score of 90.
Key Trends & Developments.
* Fiscal constraints faced by the Ontario government in particular represent a challenging environment for vendors. Meanwhile Toronto authorities have also launched a Core Spending Review targeted, which could have negative implications for IT spending. However a focus, by Ontario and other authorities, on deficit reduction through public services delivery reforms should also potentially represent an opportunity for IT vendors.
* Growing interest in cloud computing is expected, with Canada currently lagging the US and some other advanced markets. The market in Canada remains fairly small. A 2011 survey commissioned by Microsoft Canada found that nearly 73% of Canadian SMEs understood that cloud-based services was a cost-effective delivery model, but that just 30% were investing in such services.
Report Table of Contents:
- Canada IT Sector SWOT
- Canada Political SWOT
- Canada Economic SWOT
IT Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Regional IT Business Environment Ratings Q312
IT Markets Overview
- IT Penetration
- Market Growth And Drivers
- Sectors And Verticals
- Industry Developments
- Table: Canada IT Industry - Historical Data And Forecasts (US$mn unless otherwise stated)
Industry Forecast Internet
- Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data & Forecasts
- Table: Canada - GDP By Expenditure, Real Growth %, 2008-2016
Country Snapshot: Canada Demographic Data
- Table: Canada's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Canada's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Canada's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Canada's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Transport Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.