2013-02-24 15:19:31 - New Fixed Networks market report from Business Monitor International: "Canada Telecommunications Report Q1 2013"
BMI View: While Canada's mobile market continues to show slow but steady growth, operators began reporting an increase in ARPU in mid-2012. While too soon to suggest a turnaround in the market's trends, an increase is good news for operators across the board as costly investments in next-generation networks are ongoing. Canada's good economic outlook is also positive for operators in the market, suggesting ARPUs could continue to grow or at least stabilise. The news also bodes well for content providers and fixed broadband operators trying to encourage greater growth in services.
* Our broadband forecasts were revised downwards to only include dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions. We believe mobile broadband will remain a minor technology in the market but
overall market growth will push penetration to 40% by 2017.
* Launches of LTE and higher speed 3G will help push 3G and 4G to account for around two-thirds of all mobile subscriptions by the end of our forecast period.
* Fixed-line voice services continue to diminish in terms of operator revenues and will continue to negatively impact operator bottom lines in the medium term.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/536409_canada_telecommunications_report_q1_2 ..
Key Trends & Developments
Several operators upgraded their networks to LTE or 3G+ services, offering subscribers higher speed mobile data services. BMI believes this will drive ARPUs, which increased in Q212 and Q312. Eastlink, Riogers, Mobilicity, SaskTel and MTS made announcements about network upgrades in Q412.
UK-based MVNO Lycamobile is planning to launch its low-cost international mobile services in Canada, reports the Globe and Mail. The operator, which is in discussions with several Canadian wireless firms, will target immigrants and other ethnic consumers who regularly talk and text with family and friends living overseas. The operator is aiming to roll out its services in late 2012. Initially, it will offer unlimited and payas- you-go plans and target major urban centres, such as Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.
Market share weighted mobile ARPU increased for the second quarter in a row in Q312. Although it remains below CAD60, BMI believes there are good signs that ARPUs may continue a slow path upwards. 3G and 4G growth is set to be strong and the economic outlook for Canada is good in comparison to peer markets. While we do not discount further declines, there is little overall subscriber growth left in the market, leaving operators only able to improve their performances based on existing subscriber spending.
Report Table of Contents:
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecasts
- Fixed Line
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Historical Data & Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data & Forecasts
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Developed States
- Table: Developed Markets Risk/Reward Ratings, Q113
- Table: Canada Regional Comparison, 2011
- Key Developments
- Market Growth
- Market Shares
- Mobile Content
- Mobile Operators Table
- Table: Canada Mobile Market ('000)
- Table: Rogers Wireless
- Table: Bell Wireless
- Table: Telus Wireless
- Table: SaskTel Mobility
- Table: MTS Mobility
- Table: Local & Long-Distance Revenue By Category
- Table: Canada Local Voice Market By Operator ('000)
- Table: Canada Pay-TV Market
- Table: Canada Pay-TV Market By Operator ('000)
- Table: Pay-TV ARPU (CAD/Month)
- Table: Canada Broadband Market By Operator ('000)
Industry Trends And Developments
- Key Market Developments
- Table: Telecoms Market Development
- Table: Division Of Regulatory Responsibilities In Canada
- Regulatory Developments
- Table: Selected Regulatory Developments
- Table: Key Players - Canada Telecoms Sector
- Table: Selected Operators Financial Indicators (US$mn)
- Bell Canada Enterprises Inc (BCE)
- Rogers Communications
- Table: Canada's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Canada's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Canada's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Canada's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Table: Glossary Of Terms
- Table: Key Indicators For Telecommunications Industry Forecasts
- Telecoms Business Environment Ratings
- Table: Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.