2013-02-28 12:17:31 - Fast Market Research recommends "Czech Republic Telecommunications Report Q2 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
BMI View: The Czech Republic telecoms market contains a number of major international players such as Telefonica O2, T-Mobile and Vodafone in mobile, and Telefonica and UPC in wireline. The market has been under many of the same pressures as markets throughout the region with market saturation, regulatory factors such as cuts to mobile termination rates and the impact of the eurozone crisis on macroeconomic performance acting as drags on performance. However, while subscription growth may have slowed significant opportunities remain, not least in the booming wireless data market and VAS opportunities arising from the rapid proliferation of smartphone ownership.
* The Czech Republic moved into first position in BMI's Risk/Rewards Ratings for Central and Eastern Europe in Q2
2013, narrowly ahead of Turkey and Poland.
* We have upgraded our subscription growth forecast for the mobile market in this update as a consequence of the launch of the first MVNO in Q412, with more expected in 2013, which will drive growth through heightened price competition.
* The broadband market forecast saw a downward revision in response to lower than expected net additions from the leading wireline operators. This could represent the beginning of a lower growth trajectory as wireless data services become increasingly competitive in terms of speeds.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/541179_czech_republic_telecommunications_rep ..
Key Trends And Developments
The CTU's spectrum auction (800MHz, 1,800MHz and 2,600MHz frequencies) has hit a stumbling block and is currently delayed - with no official explanation. Results had been expected in late December 2012. It has been reported that the delay could be based on the hesitancy of PPF Mobile to invest in spectrum, as it is unsure of getting a return on investment. This is despite the CTU pushing for national roaming agreements, cutting the cost of spectrum in the 1,800MHz band. It has since been rumoured in the local press that parent investment group PPF is actually now targeting the acquisition of telecoms incumbent Telefonica O2 CR. At the time of writing, the delayed spectrum auction and potential acquisition remained subject to great uncertainty.
The CTU had been pushing for a fourth operator as a means of promoting competition, and, while its plans have been disrupted, heightened competition in mobile services will arise from other areas. In December 2012 Air Telecom acquired MobilKom, which operates the U:fon brand, for a reported fee of CZK21mn (US$672,000). U:fon had previously been the subject of insolvency proceedings with debts of CZK2bn.
U:fon's liabilities have been cleared and insolvency administration concluded with the acquisition. Air Telecom stated it hopes to revitalise the CDMA operator (and it could even take the spot as the fourth bidder for GSM spectrum). Meanwhile, the first MVNO launched in the Czech Republic in Q412, with publisher Ringier Axel Springer using its distribution network of newsagents to launch a low-end service. There are reported to be launches from cable operator UPC and Tesco targeted for 2013. U:fon's renaissance and the arrival of MVNOs will add competition and drive growth, BMI believes
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Monthly Blended Mobile ARPU (CZK) - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Fixed Line
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data And Forecasts
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Central And Eastern Europe Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Central And Eastern Europe Risk/Reward Ratings, Q213
- Czech Republic
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Czech Republic Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2011
- Key Developments
- Market Growth
- Market Share
- Subscription Mix
- Usage (MOU/ARPU)
- Mobile Content/Value-Added Services
- Mobile Contract Wins
- Table: Mobile Contract Wins
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: Market Overview
- Table: Telefonica O2 Czech Republic
- Table: T-Mobile
- Table: Vodafone Czech Republic
- Central And Eastern Europe Mobile Content
- Smartphones Drive Data Explosion
- M-Commerce Developing Rapidly
- Social Landscape Captures The Risk And Opportunities
- Fixed Line
- Table: Wireline Developments (2009-2011)
- Converged Service Operator Tables
- Table: Telefonica Czech Republic
- Table: UPC
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Czech Republic - Electronic Communications Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Regulatory Developments
- Competitor Analysis
- Table: Key Players - Czech Republic Telecoms Sector
- Table: Selected Operators' Financial Results
- Telefonica O2 Czech Republic
- T-Mobile Czech Republic
- Vodafone Czech Republic
- Alcatel Lucent
- Table: Alcatel-Lucent: Quarterly Breakdowns Of Revenue By Segment, 2011-2012 (EURmn)
- Under Pressure, Despite Carriers' Need For More Bandwidth
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.