2013-03-23 08:25:53 - Fast Market Research recommends "Qatar Shipping Report Q2 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
Qatari shipping sector continues to be dominated by the export of the country's key commodity, natural gas, through the export terminal of Ras Laffan. Much of this is carried by national carrier Qatar Gas Transport (Nakilat). However, the country is looking to increase its container and dry bulk shipping presence as well, through the development of the New Doha Port, which is being developed with an eye towards capturing some lucrative transhipment trade. Further, Qatar is making its presence felt in foreign ports sectors and is investing in developing facilities in Egypt.
* 2013 Port of Doha container throughput forecast to grow 4.0%, and to average 4.4% per annum to 2017 (including transferred operations to New Doha from 2015).
2013 Port of Doha total tonnage throughput forecast to expand by 3.2% to 8.71mn tonnes, and to average 4.1% per annum over our forecast period (including transferred operations to New Doha from 2015).
* 2013 total trade growth forecast at -1.2%, and to average -2.4% over our forecast period as gas prices fall.
Full Report Details at
Key Industry Trends
Doha Port Could Create 20,000 Jobs: The construction of a new port in Doha could reportedly generate 20,000 new employment opportunities. Al Noaimi, the chairperson of the New Port Project steering committee, has confirmed that work on the port is advancing on schedule.
Local Companies Get Half Of New Port Projects: Local companies in Qatar have secured half of the US $2.5bn projects for Qatar's new port at Mesaieed. The move is aimed at promoting the domestic private sector. The port, worth US$7.5bn, is scheduled to be completed by 2030 and its first construction phase is likely to be operational by 2016. Half of the 18 projects have been tendered to local companies.
Nakilat Inc Retains Stable Rating: In November 2012 ratings agency Standard & Poor's (S&P) confirmed that the Nakilat Inc, will be retaining its AA investment rating with a stable outlook. In its appraisal S&P cited the company's strong experience in managing LNG shipping - the company is the investment arm of parent firm Qatar Gas Transport Company, known as Nakilat.
Key Risks To Outlook
On the wildcard side, should Iran follow through on its threats to close, or attempt to close, the Strait of Hormuz, then the resulting regional instability and disruption to trade would have a direct effect on Qatar's shipping sector, and on the country as a whole. A more likely scenario is that the country's New Doha Port will not be completed on time for 2015; the completion date has already been pushed back once.
Macroeconomically, as Qatar is so reliant on gas receipts for its economic growth, our forecasts are subject to risk were there to be any large unforeseen hike or drop in gas prices.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Port of Doha Throughput Outlook
- Table: Major Port Data, 2010-2017
- Table: Key Trade Indicators, 2010-2017
- Table: Main Import Partners (US$mn)
- Table: Main Export Partners (US$mn)
- Qatar Container Shipping Overview
Industry Trends And Developments
- Milaha (Formerly Qatar Navigation)
- Qatar Gas Transport Company (Nakilat)
Global Industry Overview - Container Shipping
- Demand: Global Box Outlook Brightening
- Supply: Overcapacity To Remain As More Megas Saturate The Market
- Table: Container Line Mega-Vessel Newbuild Plans
- Rates: A Strong Start, But Rate Management Must Continue
- Table: 2012 SCFI Europe Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview
- Table: 2012 SCFI USWC Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview
Global Industry Overview - Dry Bulk Shipping
- Demand: Stimulus Blip Playing Out, Bit For How Long?
- Supply: Dry Bulk Fleet growth Slipping, But Overcapacity Still A Problem
- Table: China Iron Ore Trade Partners Overview
- Table: China Coal Trade Partners Overview
Global Industry Overview - Liquid Bulk Shipping
- Improving Fundamentals In Dirty Tanker Market
- Tonne-Mile Growth To Support Product Tanker Sector
- LNG Boom To Stall In 2013
Global Company Strategy
- Maersk Line
- Mediterranean Shipping Company
- CMA CGM
- Evergreen Line
- COSCO Container Lines Company
- Hanjin Shipping
- China Shipping Container Line (CSCL)
- Mitsui OSK Lines
- Table: Qatar - Economic Activity
- Table: Qatar's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Qatar's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Qatar's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Qatar's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.