2013-02-22 14:09:42 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Russia Consumer Electronics Report Q1 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
BMI View: We project that Russian consumer electronics spending will grow by about 10% in US dollar terms in 2013, after Russian retailers such as MTS, M.video and Euroset reported another year of strong growth in sales of consumer electronics devices in 2012. The Russian consumer electronics market is expected to increase at a double-digit compound annual growth rate over BMI's five-year forecast period, driven by the growing popularity of digital lifestyle products like digital TV sets, notebook PCs, digital cameras and portable audio devices.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/536554_russia_consumer_electronics_report_q1 ..
The planned roll-out of digital TV broadcasting to 95% of Russian citizens by 2015 and investment in 3G and 4G mobile communications infrastructure will boost spending. Meanwhile the market
should receive a further boost following WTO entry, confirmed in August 2012, with import taxes of 5-15% expected to be lowered within three years.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Computer hardware sales: US$11.7bn in 2012 to US$12.7bn in 2013, +8% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised due to analyst modification and tablets should be a strong growth area in 2013.
AV Sales: US$8.2bn in 2012 to US$8.8bn in 2013, +7% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with flat-screen TV set sales the main growth area.
Handset Sales: US$6.2bn in 2012 to US$7.3bn in 2013, +18% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised, but sales of smartphones have been particularly strong and reversed a trend of declining handset prices.
Risk/Reward RatingRussia's score was 52.1 out of 100.0, down slightly from the previous quarter. However, Russia moved up to second place in our latest Consumer Electronics Risk/Reward Ratings table from third, swapping places with the Czech Republic. Given its undoubted market growth potential, Russia is expected remain a priority market for vendors.
Key Trends & Developments
* The flat-screen TV set market still is far from saturated, particularly in remote areas. In the major cities of European Russia, rising incomes, new house builds and interest in luxury items will ensure growing demand for digital. The government has set a target for every Russian citizen to have access to at least 24 digital TV channels by 2015, with the amount of funding for digitalisation reportedly RUB76.3bn. Russia is expected to roll out digital services gradually, starting from Russia's Far East and South Siberian regions, followed eventually by all populated localities.
* In H112, Russian retailers such as M.video and Euroset reported another half year of strong growth in sales of consumer electronics devices, with particularly strong sales of handsets. Demand for smartphone and higher end feature phones will help prevent stagnation in the handset market despite the slowing subscriber growth rate. In Q112, smartphones accounted for 28% of all handsets sold at cellular provider MTS's retail chain and 64.8% of sales in monetary terms. By mid 2012, smartphones accounted for around 30% of Russian handset sales by volume.
Tablets will offer a growth area, with a boost from sales in Q112 of around 1.5mn tablets. Mobile PCs remain the main PC sales driver, although most of the growth in H112 was in less expensive units priced below US$800. Household purchases of second notebooks for family use was one contributing factor behind this growth.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview, 2009-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Industry Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Europe Risk/Reward Ratings, Q113
- Table: PC Sales, 2009-2017
- Table: AV Sales, 2010-2017
- Mobile Handsets
- Table: Mobile Communications, 2010-2017
- Market Overview
- Table: Electronics Output, 2010-2017
- Table: Russia's Technology Park Expenditure, 2006-2010 (US$mn)
- Table: Diverse Private Tech Firm Investment Boosts Silicon Skolkovo Dream
- Table: Electronics Output By Segment, 2010-2017
- Table: Russia Electronics Components Industry - Development Plan 2008-2025
- IBS Group
- Oracle Corp
- Table: Oracle: Selected Acquisitions
- Regional IT Overview
- IT Penetration
- Market Growth And Drivers
- Sectors And Verticals
- Table: Russia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Russia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Russia's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Russia's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.