2013-02-20 05:34:16 - New Materials market report from Business Monitor International: "Netherlands Metals Report Q1 2013"
BMI's Netherlands Metals Report for Q1 2013 examines plans for expansion of the country's highly integrated and competitive steel industry as it strives to increase the value of production, but flags shortterm concerns about the impact of external market problems, notably the eurozone crisis. The report also analyses the growth and risk management strategies being employed by the leading players in the steel and aluminium sectors, as they seek to minimise the effects of the crisis on their operations.
In the first 10 months of 2012, Dutch crude steel output fell 0.7% to 5.74mn tonnes (mnt), which was better than the EU average. The performance was also better than BMI had anticipated, prompting an upward revision in the full-year estimate from
6.76mnt to 6.84mnt in spite of the estimated 0.6% decline in GDP. This represents a decline of 1.4% following two years of growth that saw output up 4.0% and 28.5% in 2011 and 2010, respectively.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/536520_netherlands_metals_report_q1_2013.asp ..
Tata Steel Europe is aiming to reduce costs by 20% in FY2012/13, while at the same time increasing investment. It is spending EUR800mn in increasing liquid steel-making capacity at Ijmuiden by 500,000 tonnes per annum (tpa) to 7.7mn tonnes per annum (mntpa) by 2015-16 while reducing jobs by 1,000.
This should significantly improve the competitiveness of its Ijmuiden complex. As such, BMI retains an optimistic outlook for the long-term future of the Dutch steel industry with a swift return to pre-2008 levels by 2014.
Over the last quarter BMI has revised the following forecasts/views:
* A modest recovery is expected in 2013 as export markets improve and national consumption stabilises as the country embarks on its slow recovery from recession. Crude consumption is set to rise just 0.6%, but should be followed in subsequent years by stronger growth. The eurozone sovereign debt crisis is set to weigh on external demand, while the government's commitment to fiscal austerity will hurt weak domestic demand.
* Tata Steel is investing EUR12mn in enhancing production of specialised corrosion resistant steel with a new finishing line for hot dipped galvanised steel. As a result, the Ijmuiden complex will buck the trend of capacity closures seen elsewhere in Europe and will add value to production, reduce costs and increase volume of cold rolled products. The developments at Ijmuiden justify an optimistic outlook for the long-term future of the industry with a swift return to pre-2008 levels of output by 2014.
* The closure of the 275,000tpa ZALCO aluminium smelter in December 2011 due to poor profit margins will raise the ratio of net imports to consumption from 33% to as much as 90%.
Report Table of Contents:
- Netherlands Business Environment SWOT
Europe Metals Overview
- Table: Netherlands - Steel Industry ('000 tonnes, unless stated otherwise)
- Table: Netherlands - Steel Industry Historical Data ('000 tonnes, unless stated otherwise)
- Macroeconomic Outlook
- Economic Recovery Faltering
- Table: Netherlands - Economic Activity
- Monthly Metals Update
- Table: Select Commodities: Performance & BMI Forecasts
- Steel Forecast
- Steel To Average US$360/tonne In 2013: Short-Term View
- Table: Steel Forecast
- Table: Steel Forecasts
- Tata Steel Europe (Corus Group)
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Cross Checks
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.