2013-03-16 11:20:53 - New Consumer Goods research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
BMI View: BMI calculates that Colombian consumer electronics spending grew by about 12% in US dollar terms in 2012 to US$4.9bn. In 2013, BMI expects ongoing household deleveraging, amid record high levels of household debt, to continue to weigh down consumer spending on digital lifestyle items such as flatscreen TV sets. Despite its declining trend, consumer credit growth remains relatively robust for now. Falling unemployment should help to drive demand for consumer electronics goods, such as tablets and smartphones. A strong Colombian peso will also enhance the affordability of key consumer electronics items. Drivers will include rising PC and mobile phone penetration, the launch of digital TV broadcasting and 3G mobile network roll-outs. The development of a modern retail sector
will also encourage growth over the forecast period.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/552286_colombia_consumer_electronics_report_ ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Computer Hardware Sales: US$1.5bn in 2012 to US$1.6in 2013; +8% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to analyst adjustment amid signs of a consumer slowdown. Tablets are expected to be a growth area, with strong uptake of the devices reported in the Colombia market.
* AV Sales: US$2.3bn in 2012 to US$2.5bn in 2013; +9% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with flat-screen TV sets the main growth area as consumers upgrade their old models.
* Handset Sales: US$1.0bn in 2012 to US$1.1bn in 2013; +12% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with smartphones to account for a higher proportion of mobile sales.
Colombia's score was 45 out of 100.0, which gave it sixth place in our latest Latin American CE RRR table, ahead of Argentina and Venezuela. BMI expects rising penetration of consumer electronics devices such as smartphones and flat-screen TV sets. Over time the market has the potential to rise in our rankings.
Key Trends & Developments
* The government's Vive Digital programme offers a long-term boost to the PC market, with a pledge to eliminate import tariffs on connectivity devices and to take measures to enhance credit availability for such devices. Incentives under the Vive Digital plan included a VAT exemption programme for lowincome households looking to obtain an internet connection.
* The migration to digital TV broadcasting is currently scheduled for completion in 2019, although government sources have suggested this could be brought forward by two years. To maintain revenue growth in the face of price declines, vendors will focus on product innovation, with drivers including improved display quality and wider screens, as well as design and features, such as wireless technology.
* With the growing popularity of mobile broadband services, and recent launch of 4G services by Movistar and Claro, smartphone usage should grow rapidly. There will also be increasing demand for mid-range phones as consumers upgrade from their entry models. Even for low-tier subscribers, desire for features such as cameras and support for MP3/MP4 are increasingly important requirements.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview, 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Industry Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Latin America Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: PC Sales, 2010-2017
- AV Devices
- Table: AV Sales, 2010-2017
- Mobile Devices
- Table: Mobile Communications, 2010-2017
- Table: Colombia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Colombia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Colombia's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Colombia's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.