2013-09-26 10:24:54 - Fast Market Research recommends "Hong Kong Telecommunications Report Q4 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
We downgraded our forecasts for fixed broadband internet subscriptions in the Q4 2013 update, as the market continued its trend of decline started in September 2012. We do not believe this is a long-term story as Hong Kong's fibre broadband is crucial given the territory's position as a financial hub. Hong Kong's telecommunications market, particularly the mobile sector, is one of the most dynamic and mature in the Asia Pacific region. Mobile subscriber numbers have long passed the 200% penetration mark and the latest data from operators and the regulator show continued growth. There are some concerns in the mobile market, however, with the government reviewing whether to renew operators' 3G licences when they expire in 2016 or open all
of them - or some of them - to tender. Fixed lines, meanwhile, continue to post declines, although IP lines are the bright spot for the industry.
* Mobile subscriptions continued to grow in H113 despite the high penetration rate. We envisage 19.0mn mobile subscribers by end-2017, representing 250% penetration, although a portion comprises inactive prepaid subscriptions.
* Full-year data from the regulator for broadband subscriber numbers saw further declines which were unexpected. We therefore downgraded our forecasts for 2013 but believe it will return to growth over the course of our forecast period to 2.6mn broadband subscribers by 2017.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/686314_hong_kong_telecommunications_report_q ..
Key Trends And Developments
Hong Kong's regulatory authorities announced the outcome of a its latest spectrum auction in May 2013, with four operators awarded spectrum in the 2.5GHz and 2.6GHz bandwidths: Genius Brand, SmartTone, China Mobile Hong Kong and CSL.
Hong Kong's telecoms operators had until April 2013 to submit their views to the regulator, OFCA, regarding the future use of 3G spectrum. The four leading operators, SmartTone, CSL, Hutchison and PCCW have issued a joint letter requesting that their 3G spectrum licences are automatically renewed when they expire, in October 2016. The government, however, is keen to auction off at least part of the spectrum in a move to promote competition in the sector.
System integrator and consultant Computaris has been selected by PLDT Global (PGC), a wholly owned subsidiary of Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company, as the end-to-end billing infrastructure provider for its Hong Kong MVNO subsidiary. An MVNO platform is required to provide telecoms products to overseas Filipinos via relevant voice, SMS, mobile commerce and Filipino-centric value-added services. PGC will also be able to launch services with pricing and packaging with the delivery of the modular MVNO suite by Computaris.
PCCW-HKT has upgraded its LTE network to enable theoretical maximum download speeds of up to 150Mbps. The company has also introduced a new smartphone capable of supporting the technology, the Huawei Ascend P2. To meet a surging customer data demand, PCCW-HKT has also launched the 'Ultimate Mobility' service plan, delivering monthly data of 80GB for HKD800 (US$103.10).
Hong Kong remains in fourth position in BMI's Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings with a telecoms rating score of 67.1, the same as the previous quarter.
Against a backdrop of clear signs of a deterioration in macroeconomic conditions in China and Hong Kong's intricate ties with the mainland, we have revised our real GDP growth forecasts. We now expect the economy to expand 2.4% instead of a previous 3.3% in 2013. In 2014, we are forecasting real GDP growth of 3.0%, lower than a previous estimate of 3.6%. This reflects our relatively more downbeat expectations given consensus projections of 3.0% and 3.9% in 2013 and 2014 respectively.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile ARPU - Historical Data And Forecasts, (HKD)
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Broadband - Historical Data And Forecasts
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Asia Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Hong Kong Mobile Market Regional Comparison, 2012
- Key Developments
- Market Growth
- Market Shares
- Mobile Content
- Table: Hong Kong Mobile Market Overview
- Table: CSL
- Table: Hutchison Telecommunications Hong Kong Holdings (3 Hong Kong)
- Table: China Mobile Hong Kong
- Table: SmarTone Hong Kong
- Table: PCCW Mobile
- Table: PCCW Fixed-Line Service Revenue Breakdown (HKDmn)
Industry Trends And Developments
- Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Telecoms Market Developments
- Regulatory Overview
- Table: Hong Kong Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Spectrum Release Plan (2013-2015)
- Table: Hong Kong Spectrum Release Plan For 2013-2015
- Regulatory Developments
- Table: Key Players - Hong Kong Telecoms Markets
- Table: Operator Revenues (US$mn)
- Hutchison Telecommunications Hong Kong Holdings (HTHKH)
- SmarTone Telecommunications
- Secure Outlook For Gemalto
- Corporate Overview
- Table: Gemalto Financial KPIs, Q113 vs Q112
- Products Appeal To Maturing Asian Markets
- New Asian Growth Helps Insulate Effects Of Recession In Europe
- Table: Hong Kong's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Hong Kong's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Hong Kong's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Hong Kong's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.