2013-02-26 01:36:25 - New Fixed Networks research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
BMI View: Compared with its Latin American counterparts, Mexico's telecoms market is underdeveloped, with low penetration rates, high tariffs and a lack of competition as America Movil dominates the market. But steps are being taken by the government and operators to change this model. Operators are optimistic about the changes, with Iusacell revealing plans to triple its market share over three years. Also, with November's launch of LTE technology, we believe the technology will help encourage further investment in the telecoms sector and boost market growth.
In Q312, Cofetel revealed there were 98.909mn mobile subscribers in the country, making a penetration rate of 89.6%.
The fixed-line market recorded 20.113mn lines in service at the end of October 2012, year-on-year (y-o-y)
growth of 1.8%.
Cofetel revealed there were more than 45.107mn internet users in Mexico at the end of 2012. There was no new regulatory data for internet subscriptions - there were 12.855mn internet subscriptions excluding 3G mobile subscriptions at the end of 2011.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/541236_mexico_telecommunications_report_q2_2 ..
Mexico fell one place in the Q213 rankings. However, it actually made gains to its overall figure, due to an improvement in the Country Risk score. Other scores remained unchanged, and the rise was not sufficient to stop Argentina reclaiming the third place and knocking Mexico to fourth.
Key Trends & Developments
Iusacell Plans To Triple Subscribers
Iusacell revealed plans to triple its subscriber base by 2015 though investing US$800mn. Televisa's executive vice-president Alfonso de Angoitia told investors that the US$800mn needed for Iusacell's continued growth could be raised in a number of ways, including increasing debt or investment from Televisa and Grupo Salinas - which owns the remaining 50% - split equally between the companies.
Telcel Launches LTE
In November 2012, Huawei partnered with Mexico's Telcel to introduce the country's first commercial LTE network. Telcel initiated its LTE service in nine major metropolitan markets and plans to reach 26 cities within six months. The service is targeted at prepaid users, who encouragingly already generate a significant volume of non-voice service revenue for Telcel.
Cofetel Plans To Launch Tender For 700MHz Spectrum
In November 2012, Cofetel's chief Mony de Swaan announced plans to roll out a tender for 700MHz spectrum in H213. The 700MHz spectrum will be used to provide 4G mobile services. Currently, 19 licences are present in these frequency bands. The government still has to sign contracts with owners of 11 of these licences, Swaan added.
Cofetel Misses Deadline
In November 2012, Cofetel failed to meet a November 30 deadline for publishing the terms for the longawaited auction of frequencies. On December 14 2012, Cofetel announced that it approved of offering six concessions to operate a public cable TV network across the country.
Cofetel To Take Decision On Application Of Asymmetric Regulation
Cofetel will likely decide by early 2013 whether to apply asymmetric regulation in order to curb Telcel's market power. Currently, Cofetel is mulling over proposals for asymmetric regulation of mobile retail service and is also analysing the case of mobile termination rates, president of the Federal Telecommunications Commission or Cofetel, Mony de Swaan said.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Mobile SWOT
- Wireline SWOT
- Business Environment
- Table: Telecoms Sector, Mobile, Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Telecoms Sector, Mobile ARPU, 2010-2017, (MXP)
- Table: Telecoms Sector, Fixed Line, 2010-2017
- Table: Telecoms Sector, Internet, 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Latin America Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Q213 Risk/Reward Ratings
- Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Mexico Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2012
- Key Developments
- Market Growth
- Market Shares
- Table: Mexico Mobile Market, Q312
- Mobile Content
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: Mexico Market Overview
- Table: Telcel
- Table: Movistar
- Table: Iusacell
- Table: Nextel
- Latin America Regional Mobile Content 2013
- Table: Mexico Local Access Market, Q312
- Table: Telmex Income Statement, Q112 (MXNmn)
- Table: ILD Minutes By Recipient Country (mn)
- Table: Mexico Internet Users By Access Type, 2003-2011, ('000)
- Table: Mexico Internet Subscription Market, 2007-2011, ('000)
- Table: Mexico Fibre Optic Network, 2002-2009 ('000km)
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Wireless Developments
- Table: Mexico's Wireline Developments
- Table: Mexico: Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Table: Key Players In Mexico Telecoms Sector
- Telcel (America Movil)
- Movistar (Telefonica Moviles Mexico)
- Pace Potential In Emerging Markets
- Table: Pace Recent Financial Results (US$mn)
- Recovery And Lofty Ambitions
- Latin America
- Table: Pace: Latin America STB Mix (By Volume)
- Mexico Demographic Data
- Table: Mexico's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Mexico's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.