2012-09-04 08:52:30 - New Transportation research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
BMI remains concerned about the effects of Argentina's soaring inflation on the country's freight transport sector. We believe that the Argentine government has artificially propped up growth during recent years. Economic growth in Argentina is set to moderate sharply in 2012 to 4.0% from an estimated 8.9% in 2011. Although Argentina's GDP growth remained strong in recent quarters we believe signs that a slowdown in economic activity lies ahead have already started to emerge.
With port workers and others trying to secure pay increases in line with the country's soaring inflation, we expect the threat of strikes at the country's ports to remain a risk. Further threats to the freight transport sector come from the barriers to import that recently re-elected
President Cristina Fernandez's administration has been constructing. Despite the country's rich natural resources, it is possible the political and economic situation there could deter investors in the future.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/451198_argentina_freight_transport_report_q4 ..
Headline Industry Data
* Total volume at the Port of Buenos Aires is set to contract 2.2% in 2012 to reach 11.75mn tonnes.
* Air freight volume growth is set to grow by 2% to 170,800 tonnes in 2012, with average annual growth of 1.3% during our forecast period.
* Rail freight hauled in 2012 will grow by a modest 2% to 22.72mn tonnes, with average annual growth of 2% during our forecast period.
Key Industry Trends
Argentina-Paraguay Rail Link Restored
The completion of 29 kilometres of new alignment, enabling trains to once again run between the 1,435mm gauge networks of Argentina and Paraguay, was announced on June 7 2012. The new development will give cargo coming from Argentina access to a freight terminal in the Paraguayan city of Encarnacion.
Barriers To Import Leave Cars Stranded At Port of Zarate
Barriers to import introduced by the Argentine government in an effort to stem the flow of currency out of the country left over 30,000 cars stranded in the customs area of the Argentine port of Zarate in May.
Key Risks To Outlook
Key risks to our outlook are on the downside. We maintain our view that Argentina faces strong economic headwinds. Soaring inflation and growing government intervention as evidenced by the April 2012 attempts to expropriate Spain's YPF mean the Argentine economy will struggle to sustain its current growth trajectory, as investors become increasingly cautious of the economy.
Report Table of Contents:
- Argentina Freight Transport Industry SWOT
- Argentina Political SWOT
- Argentina Economic SWOT
- Argentina Business Environment SWOT
Industry Trends And Developments
- Rail Freight
- Maritime Freight
- Maritime Freight
- Table: Maritime Freight - Throughput, 2007-2016 ('000 tonnes)
- Air Freight
- Table: Air Freight, 2007-2016
- Rail Freight
- Table: Rail Freight, 2007-2016
- Table: Trade Overview, 2007-2016
- Table: Key Trade Indicators, 2007-2016 (US$mn)
- Table: Argentina's Main Import Partners, 2002-2009 (US$mn)
- Table: Argentina's Main Export Partners, 2002-2009 (US$mn)
Global Oil Products Price Outlook
- Table: BMI's Refined Products Forecasts
- Table: Refining Marker Margins (US$/bbl)
- Domestic Politics
- Long-Term Political Outlook
- Table: Argentina - Economic Activity
- America Latina Logistica (ALL)
- Aerolineas Argentinas
Country Snapshot: Argentina Demographic Data
- Table: Argentina's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Argentina's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Argentina's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Argentina's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Transport Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.