2013-03-03 10:47:46 - Fast Market Research recommends "Belgium Telecommunications Report Q2 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
BMI View: Mobile data will remain the primary driver of wireless revenue growth in Belgium, helped by rising sales of smartphones and similar internet-enabled devices. Consumers are also favouring converged service bundles, or packs, and industry expansion and consolidation will revolve around companies that best leverage their strengths in the multi-play arena. The new Telecoms Law, which took effect in August 2012, may undermine operators' efforts, however, as it gives consumers greater powers to change service providers. In 2013, a new 3G player should enter the market, adding a new competitive dynamic, but one that is unlikely to alter existing market expansion trends.
* Mobile growth was soft in Q312 as BASE shed nearly 1mn inactive accounts and Proximus
struggled to convince its prepaid users to migrate to postpaid services. On the bright side, Proximus was first to launch 4G, in November 2012, giving it a first mover advantage in the all-important mobile data space.
* Our fixed-line forecasts have not been altered as 9M12 growth rates were within expectations, but adoption of fixed broadband services was much slower than expected. Meanwhile, M2M usage continues to grow rapidly. Forecasts have been revised this quarter to reflect the changed market dynamic.
* ARPUs continue to fall, but not as sharply as previously feared. Nevertheless, fresh MTR reductions in January 2013 and the arrival of at least one new player later in the year have yet to make their impact felt on ARPUs.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/541149_belgium_telecommunications_report_q2_ ..
Key Trends & Developments
Belgacom's Proximus unit launched 4G LTE services on a commercial basis in eight cities in early November 2012. We expect rival Mobistar to redouble its efforts to launch its own service in the near future. However, we are less confident that BASE will respond with any great sense of urgency and the lack of service launch timetables from two new players also raises concerns about the scope for expansion in this saturated market.
Belgium fell one place on BMI's Risks/Rewards Ratings table this quarter after we took a more bearish view of the opportunities for investment potential in the mobile sector and softened our critical view regarding short-to-medium term economic recovery and growth.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Table: Belgium Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Monthly Blended Mobile ARPUs (EUR), 2010-2017
- Fixed Line
- Table: Belgium Telecoms Sector - Fixed-Line - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Belgium Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Western Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Western Europe Risk/Reward Ratings, Q213
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Belgium Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2011
- Key Developments
- Mobile Growth
- Market Shares
- Table: Belgium Mobile Market (Q312)
- Usage (MoU & ARPUs)
- Table: ARPU (EUR)
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: Market Overview
- Table: Proximus
- Table: Mobistar
- Table: BASE
- Western Europe Mobile Content
- Financialising Footfall
- Interoperable M-Commerce A Stronger Proposition
- Positioning Key To M2M Success
- Fixed Line
- Converged Services
- IPTV Services
- Converged Service Operator Data
- Table: Belgacom
- Table: Telenet
- Table: Mobistar
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Belgium: Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Legislation And Market Liberalisation
- Industry Developments
- Mobile Termination Rates
- Table: Belgium MTR Glide Path (All EURc pm)
- Table: Key Players - Belgium Telecoms Sector
- Table: Selected Telecoms Operator Financial Indicators
- Gemalto Product Portfolio Compensates For Macro Weakness
- Table: Gemalto Financial Performance (EURmn)
- Table: Belgium's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Belgium's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Belgium's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Belgium's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Table: Glossary Of Terms
- Table: Key Indicators For Telecommunications Industry Forecasts
- Telecoms Business Environment Ratings
- Table: Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.