2013-03-16 11:20:46 - New Defense market report from Business Monitor International: "Colombia Defence & Security Report Q2 2013"
Colombia's government continues to wage its campaign against insurgent organisations and criminal gangs involved in narcotics production and trafficking. The employment of the country's armed forces against these threats has yielded some successes, although it appears that the state is still a long way from defeating Marxist-inspired guerrilla groups such as Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia (FARC). This organisation has used a combination of attacks on Colombia's law-enforcement organisations and the civilian population, along with kidnappings, extortion and drug trafficking to raise revenue.
FARC's attacks are also having a negative effect on Colombia's critical national infrastructure. Armed actions against oil installations risk having a detrimental effect on crude oil production. This could derail the government's goal of increasing production to
over 1.5mn barrels a day by 2015. In addition, FARC has attacked power stations, disrupting life in some of Colombia's conurbations. Economic activity was disrupted by one of Colombia's criminal gangs in 2012, which ordered a general strike in one of the northern cities in retaliation for the death of its leader during a gunfight with police.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/552285_colombia_defence_security_report_q2_2 ..
Government efforts to destroy the FARC are yielding small successes, although it seems unlikely that the guerrilla group will be defeated in the short term, if it is ever eradicated at all. This situation is much the same for the narcotic criminal gangs, which operate throughout much of the country, and which may also be connected to several of Colombia's guerrilla organisations. In some ways, cocaine production is even harder to combat than FARC as high global demand for the drug continues unabated throughout much of the West and the wider world.
During the last quarter, BMI has made the following updates to the Colombia Defence & Security Report for Q2 2013:
* The latest details regarding the conduct of Colombia's civil war and peace negotiations involving the government and FARC guerrillas in Cuba which commenced in November 2012.
* News regarding recent procurement efforts across the Colombian army, air force and navy.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Colombia Q2 2013
- Business Environment
- Defence Trade, Expenditure and Armed Forces
- Armed Forces
- Table: Colombia's Armed Forces, 2000-2009 ('000 personnel, unless otherwise stated)
- Table: Colombia's Available Manpower For Military Services, 2010-2017 (aged 16-49, unless otherwise stated)
- Defence Expenditure
- Table: Colombia's Government Defence Expenditure, 2010-2017
- Table: Colombia's Defence Expenditure Scenario - Changing % Of GDP, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Defence Trade
- Table: Colombia's Defence Exports, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Table: Colombia's Defence Imports, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Table: Colombia's Trade Balance, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Table: Colombia - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Security Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Latin America Security Ratings
- Table: Latin America State Vulnerability To Terrorism Ratings
- Colombia Market Overview
Industry Trends And Developments
- Political Overview
- Table: Political Overview
- Security Overview
- Industria Militar (Indumil) - Q2 2013
- Political Risk Analysis
Global Industry Overview
- Global Political Outlook
- Iran War Risks Rising In 2013
- Syrian Conflict To Continue, Post-Assad
- Caucasus At Risk Of Armenia-Azerbaijan War
- Korean Peninsula Facing Mixed Outlook
- Asia's Maritime Island Disputes
- Table: Election Timetable, 2013
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Defence Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.