2014-01-03 11:45:47 - New Financial Services research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
The news flow and data from Greece's insurance sector highlights three key themes. First, the economic crisis has finally had a (brutal) impact on the non-life segment. Second, premiums in the life segment have held up remarkably well until the end of 2012. Third, the consolidation of Greece's banking sector is something of a wildcard, and may bring around a consolidation among insurance companies as well.
Key Insights And Key Risks
As of late 2013, it is clear that conditions remain grim for many of the players in Greece's embattled insurance sector. An earlier boom in sales of investment-linked products reversed during H113, with a result that revenues plunged by 49% to just EUR106mn. Premiums from traditional life policies dropped by 7%.
It is no longer correct to describe the segment as resilient.
Full Report Details at
In the non-life segment, price discounting in the competitive markets for auto-related lines is the key issue. Premiums for both CASCO and CTMPL fell sharply in H113 relative to H112. However, a number of other non-life lines - such as covers for fire and other natural perils - actually rose.
A new wildcard emerged in Q412 and remains relevant: this the movement by Greece's troubled banking sector towards a wholesale consolidation. The takeover bid by National Bank of Greece for Eurobank is a classic example of this. It remains to be seen what will be the final implications for the insurance companies that both parties own. A consolidation of the insurance sector would probably be good news, in that it would provide greater economies of scale and, for some players at least, more pricing power.
We remain of the view that conditions will stabilise in both major segments at some point during the forecast period.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Table: Total Premiums 2010-2017
- Business Environment
- Table: Total Life Premiums 2010-2017
- Table: Total Non-Life premiums 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Central and Eastern European Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Central And Eastern Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Greece Insurance Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Greece Risk/Reward Ratings
- Life Sector Update
- Non Life Sector Update
Industry Trends And Developments
- Life Growth Drivers And Risk Management Projections
- Table: Insurance Key Drivers, Demographics 2010-2017
- Non Life Growth Drivers And Risk Management Projections
- Macroeconomic Outlook
- Table: Greece - Economic Activity
- Political Stability Outlook
- Table: Europe Regional Security Ratings (scores out of 100, with 100 the best)
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Insurance
- Table: Greece's Insurance Key Drivers - Disease Adjusted Life Years, 2010-2017
- Table: Insurance Key Drivers, Autos 2010-2017
- Greece Competitive Landscape
- Central And Eastern Europe Competitive Landscape
- Ethniki Insurance
- Central & Eastern Europe - Life
- Table: Central And Eastern European Life Premiums, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Central & Eastern Europe - Non-Life
- Table: Central And Eastern Europe - Non-Life Premiums US$mn, 2010-2017
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: Greece's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Greece's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Greece's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Greece's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Risk/Reward Rating Methodology
- Table: Insurance Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.