2013-02-03 08:28:51 - New Healthcare market report from Business Monitor International: "Qatar Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2013"
BMI View: According to recent reports in The Gulf Times, Qatar will have four new drug manufacturers by the end of Q113. The drugmakers will reportedly import their raw materials and produce tablets, syrups and injectables. It is anticipated the drug manufacturers will (in our view eventually) help curb reliance on imports and lower prices of retail medicines in the country as a result of increased local competition, according to Dr Aisha al-Ansari of the Supreme Council of Health Pharmacy and Drug Control Department (SCH). If the production facilities are opened on schedule, we will revise our forecasts accordingly. Generally speaking, however, we expect Qatar to remain greatly reliant on imported medicines, given the high level of consumption of patented
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: QAR1.32bn (US$362mn) in 2011 to QAR1.38bn (US$379mn) in 2012; +4.7% in local currency and US dollar terms. Historical figures adjusted to reflect new import data.
* Healthcare: QAR10.54bn (US$2.89bn) in 2011 to QAR11.40bn (US$3.13bn) in 2012; +8.2% in local currency and US dollar terms. Forecast slightly lower from Q412 on account of macroeconomic factors.
* Medical devices: QAR1.02mn (US$279mn) in 2011 to QAR1.15mn (US$317mn) in 2012; +13.6% in local currency and US dollar terms. Forecast slightly lower from Q412 on account of macroeconomic factors.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/529464_qatar_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_repo ..
Risk/Reward Rating: In BMI's Q113 Risk/Reward Ratings (RRRs) for the Middle East and Africa (MEA) region, Qatar remains in fourth place, out of the 30 countries assessed. Its composite score - at an unchanged 56.2 - comprises a more favourable risk component. The country's longer-term rewards are weighed down by factors such as its small population and a maturing pharmaceutical market.
Key Trends And Developments
* A report has found that Qatar and Saudi Arabia lead in the healthcare interiors contracting and fit-out sector, with investments of US$192mn and US$145mn respectively in 2012. The report by Ventures ME showed that the two countries have surpassed investments of US$119mn and US$13mn in the sector by the UAE and Oman respectively. The report also found that projects worth US$2.4bn in the Qatari healthcare market are likely to be completed by end-2012, thereby making the country the largest spender on healthcare in the GCC. This represents a share of 40% of the total GCC medical projects expected to be completed in 2012.
BMI Economic View: Qatar faces few significant fiscal risks in the near term, even though we see income from oil and gas exports as likely to be more than capable of financing Doha's spending plans over the coming years. However, we view the authorities' goal of fully financing its budget from nonhydrocarbon revenues by 2020 as unrealistic, and expect the country to remain dependent on oil and gas income for the foreseeable future.
BMI Political View: Qatar's Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani recently called for Palestinian unity during a landmark visit to Gaza. The visit is the first by a head of the state since Hamas militants seized the territory five years ago. The Emir urged the Hamas and rival Palestinian group Fatah to reconcile. He also pledged US$400mn for building projects in the Gaza Strip. The visit shows that Gaza is not alone, according to Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniya, adding that Israel's economic and political blockade of Gaza had been broken by the trip.
Partial Table of Contents:
- Qatar Pharmaceuticals And Healthcare Industry SWOT
- Qatar Political SWOT
- Qatar Economic SWOT
- Qatar Business Environment SWOT
Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Middle East And Africa Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings, Q113
Qatar - Market Summary
- Regional Regulatory Developments
- FTA Agreements
- Intellectual Property Regime
- Pricing And Reimbursement Regime
- Drug Price Reform Failure
- Non-Communicable Diseases
- Communicable Diseases
- Healthcare Sector
- Regional Healthcare Sector Developments
- Healthcare Reform
- Health Insurance
- Healthcare IT
- Research & Development
- Clinical Trials
- Medical Devices Industry
- Recent Developments in the Medical Devices Industry
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Pharmaceutical Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Healthcare Expenditure Indicators 2008-2016
- Table: Government Healthcare Indicators 2008-2016
- Table: Private Healthcare Indicators 2008-2016
- Key Growth Factors - Macroeconomic
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Prescription Drug Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators 2008-2016
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Generic Drug Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: OTC Medicine Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Exports and Imports Indicators, 2008-2016
- Medical Device Market Forecast
- Table: Medical Devices Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Other Healthcare Data
- Table: Healthcare Professionals (2009)
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Pharmacy Wholesale And Retail
- Local Companies
- Qatari German Company For Medical Devices (QGMD)
- Medicare Group
- Ebn Sina Medical
- Qatar Pharma
- Multinational Companies
- Merck & Co
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.