2014-01-05 21:50:32 - New Defense research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
BMI expects to see defence spending in Slovakia in 2013 to increase 7.5% over 2012 levels, to some US $1,089mn. This constitutes 1.1% of GDP.
NATO members are theoretically required to allocate at least 2% of GDP to defence purposes, but, Slovakia looks set to maintain levels well below that for the foreseeable future. Indeed, we forecast defence spending as a percentage of GDP to remain around 1.0-1.1% over the remainder of our 2017-forecast period. This lack of spending has been harshly criticised by the Slovakian minister of defence. Minister Lubomir Galko warned that the Slovakian army is beginning to break down under the strain of Afghan deployment and minimal defence spending. The right-wing Slovakian government which governed prior to 2006
had adopted the Model 2015 plan, aiming for 1.85% of GDP being spent on defence by 2015, but even this modest target was abandoned under the Fico government.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/759142_slovakia_defence_security_report_2014 ..
As for budget execution, the MOD seemed to be unable to rationally plan and invest large amounts of resources in the long run. The problem was that there were alterations made to the defence budget throughout the year, which results in the non-fulfilment of priority goals. In practical terms, the execution of defence planning in Slovakia was reduced to one-year procurement cycles.
Currently some 86% of all defence spending is on personnel, with only 14% being spent on modernisation - a ratio which is set to hit 90%/10% unless extra cash is invested.
As of October 2009, the US Department of State estimates there are 14,000 total uniformed Slovak personnel, including Land Forces, Air Forces (including air defence), and Joint Training and Doctrine Command. Slovakia does not have a navy. The Czechs put Slovak army strength at 16,000 in February 2009, while the IISS military balance puts the total armed forces at 17,400.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Defence Budget
- Table: Slovakia Defence Expenditure Data And Forecasts
- Armed Forces
- Table: Slovakia's Armed Forces Personnel, '000 personnel unless otherwise stated
- Table: Slovakia's Manpower Available For Military Services- Data And Forecasts (aged 16-49 unless otherwise stated)
- Defence Sector Production
- Table: Slovakia Defence Trade Balance Data And Forecasts
- Table: Slovakia Defence Imports- Data And Forecasts
- Table: Slovakia Defence Exports Data And Forecasts
- Key Risks
- Economic Activity
- Table: Slovakia - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Europe - Security Risk Ratings
- Table: Europe Regional Security Ratings (scores out of 100, with 100 the best)
- Table: Europe State Vulnerability To Terrorism Index (scores out of 100, with 100 the best)
- Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Table: Europe Security Risk Ratings
- Table: Table: Europe State Terrorism Vulnerability To Terrorism Index
- Defence Market Overview
- Armed Forces
- Table: Slovakia's Foreign Deployments
- Domestic Industries
- Security Overview
- Domestic Threats
- Regional Threats
- International Threats
- Konstrukta Defence
- ZVS Holding
- BAE Systems
- Europe Security Overview
Global Industry Overview
- Global Political Outlook
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Sector-Specific Methodology
- Risk/Reward Rating Methodology
- Sector-Specific Methodology
- Table: Security Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.