2013-10-27 15:36:51 - New Fixed Networks research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
Despite the transfer of the financial burden of healthcare from the state to the patient going against the aim of most developed-state governments to provide social welfare, BMI believes the success of the measures in reducing public expenditure on drugs in Spain's pharmacy sector will mean the Spanish government implements more policies to reduce its contribution towards the cost of medicines. Furthermore, it is our view that ongoing public hospital debt issues will lead to the government enforcing further price erosion mechanisms on medicines in order to contain costs.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: EUR24.99bn (US$31.74bn) in 2012 to EUR24.08bn (US$32.03bn) in 2013.
* Healthcare: EUR99.62bn (US$126.51bn) in 2012 to EUR99.09bn (US$131.79bn) in 2013; -0.5% in local currency terms and 4.2%
in US dollar terms.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/694808_spain_telecommunications_report_q4_20 ..
In BMI's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings (RRRs) for Q413, Spain is ranked 11th out of the 13 countries surveyed in Western Europe. While Spain offers investors positive factors, such as its large drug market, it also has problems, such as the government's focus on cost containment, low population growth, cumbersome bureaucracy and provincial differences regarding drug regulations and reimbursement.
Key Trends And Developments
Highlighting the Spanish government's success at containing pharmaceutical expenditure, according to industry association Farmaindustria, between June 2010 and May 2013, rebates paid by manufacturers for medicines dispensed at pharmacies reached a value of EUR1.4bn (US$1.8bn).
The British Medical Journal (BMJ) has stated that austerity measures enforced by the Spanish government could lead to the dismantling of large parts of the country's healthcare system, with potentially detrimental effects on the health of the country's population. The research warns that if no corrective measures are implemented, there is a risk that HIV and tuberculosis rates will experience an increase, as has been seen in Greece. There is also the risk of a rise in drug resistance and spread of disease. As part of their analysis, the researchers conducted interviews with 34 doctors and nurses across Catalonia.
BMI Economic View: Although real GDP growth will remain sluggish for some time to come, Spain's economy will begin a modest recovery towards end-2013, driven by robust exports and the country's growing tourism sector. We forecast real GDP to contract by 1.7% in 2013 and to grow by 0.3% in 2014, stressing that a faster economic recovery will be prevented by weak private consumption, ongoing fiscal consolidation and falling fixed capital formation over the next few quarters.
BMI Political View: The ruling People's Party (PP) recent slush-fund scandal is unlikely to result in the resignation of Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy for the time being, due largely to the party's sizeable parliamentary majority and the unpopularity of the opposition Socialist Party (SP). However, the scandal will dramatically reduce the chances of an outright PP victory in the 2015 parliamentary elections, and will further undermine the party's attempts to convince the Spanish public to tighten their belts to tackle the country's debt crisis.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Spain Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Spain Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Data And Forecasts
- Table: Spain Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Spain Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Spain Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Spain Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Spain OTC Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Spain Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Table: Spain Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (EURmn)
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Table: Spain - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Western Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Spain Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare Sector
- Table: Regional Public Hospital Debt - Values In EURmn
- Research & Development
- Clinical Trials
- Intellectual Property Issues
- Parallel Trade
- OTC Medicines
- Generic Medicines
- Pricing Regime
- Reference Pricing System
- Reimbursement Regime
- Pharmaceutical Sector
- Generic Drug Sector
- Biotechnology Sector
- Pharmaceutical Retail
- Merck & Co
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: Spain's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Spain's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.