2014-01-05 23:28:45 - Fast Market Research recommends "Switzerland Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014" from Business Monitor International, now available
In addition to increasing health insurance premiums to meet the demands for hospital care and medicines, the Swiss government will need to realise efficiencies in the healthcare sector in order to maintain high levels of healthcare provision and meet the growing demands and changes in the types of healthcare that patients need. According to OECD figures, the Swiss visit doctors as often as people in comparable countries (around four times a year) and the average length of a hospital stay for acute care stands at just under eight days, compared to under five days in Sweden and under six days in the Netherlands.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: CHF6.58bn (US$7.02bn) in 2012 to CHF6.31bn (US$6.14bn) in 2013; -4.1% decline in local
* Healthcare: CHF64.99bn (US$9.33bn) in 2012 to CHF66.38bn (US$64.64bn) in 2013; +2.1% growth in local currency terms.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/754710_switzerland_pharmaceuticals_healthcar ..
Risk/Reward Ratings: In BMI's Q114 Risk/Reward Ratings (RRRs) for Western Europe, Switzerland stood in third position in the Western Europe matrix. Switzerland's score for the quarter stands at 71, well above the regional average of 67.
Key Trends And Developments
Health insurance premiums in Switzerland are to rise by an average of 2.2% for adults in 2014, following a 1.5% increase in 2013. This corresponds to a monthly fee of CHF8.42 (US$9.0) per person. With CHF300 (US$330) deductible, the rise in healthcare premium rates will be applicable to adults with standard care. In 2014, the premiums for children are to rise by an average of 2.4% and the premiums for young adults (aged 19-25) are to increase by 3%. Insurance providers were asked to inform customers of any increase in their insurance premiums by the end of October 2013. After this, the policy holders have one month to select a new policy with the same company or to switch to another insurance provider.
In 9M13 of 2013, Roche Group sales rose by 6% at constant exchange rates to CHF 34.9bn, compared to CHF 33.7bn for 9M12. Sales in the Pharmaceuticals Division rose by 7% to CHF 27.2bn, partly as a result of strong demand for Roche's cancer drugs, Avastin (bevacizumab), Herceptin (trastuzumab), MabThera/ Rituxan (rituximab), Perjeta (Perjeta) and Kadcyla (trastuzumab emtansine). The HER2 breast cancer (BC) franchise, which includes Herceptin, Perjeta and Kadcyla, grew 13% due to positive uptake of both Perjeta and Kadcyla following their recent launches.
BMI Economic View: Having evaded the worst of the European downturn, the Swiss economy is on track to outperform the eurozone in 2013, with momentum carrying over into next year. While exports will remain a key driver of growth going forward, we still expect consumer spending to make a meaningful contribution going forward given healthy labour market dynamics and credit supply. Potentially adverse developments in the eurozone remain a risk to our forecasts over the medium term, but for the time being these risks have been successfully contained by the actions of the European Central Bank.
BMI Political View: The Swiss government remains under constant pressure to reform the financial services industry, with the country's direct democracy system allowing voters much greater influence on the legislative agenda (compared to other developed countries). Switzerland is well ahead of its counterparts in tackling illicit activities and promoting transparency, but if it treads this path alone the Swiss financial services industry could lose its standing as a major global financial centre.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Switzerland Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Switzerland, Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Table: Switzerland Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2016
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Switzerland Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Switzerland Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Switzerland Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: OTC Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Switzerland Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Analysis
- Table: Switzerland - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Western Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Switzerland Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare Insurance
- Table: 2013 Health Insurance Premiums
- Pharmaceutical Wholesale And Retail Sector
- Research And Development
- Biotechnology Sector
- Clinical Trials
- Intellectual Property Regime
- Pricing Regime
- Reimbursement Regime
- Pharmaceutical Sector
- Merck Serono
- Merck & Co
- Table: Switzerland's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Switzerland's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% Of Total)
- Table: Switzerland's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Switzerland's Urban And Rural Population, 1990-2020
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.