2013-02-19 10:16:34 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Tanzania Agribusiness Report Q1 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
BMI View: We are forecasting increases in production across the board for Tanzania in 2012/13. After droughts reduced harvests for corn, rice, sugar and coffee in 2011/12, sustained average or above-average levels of rainfall across most of the country have contributed to a much brighter outlook for 2012/13. Coffee in particular is expected to rebound with vigour, leading to a significant increase in exports that will go some way towards supporting an expected loosening of supply in 2013.
* Rice production growth to 2016/17: 30.6% to 1.5mn tonnes. The rice sector will benefit from increased investment from foreign companies, which plan to cultivate rice as a food security crop. New varieties also could boost yields in the medium term.
* Corn consumption growth to 2016/17: 32.1% to 4.8mn tonnes. A combination of enhanced yields (contributing to lower prices) and rising living standards is expected to drive corn consumption growth.
* Coffee production growth to 2016/17: 145.3% to 1.3mn 60kg bags. Although this eye-catching growth can partly be attributed to base effects, the sector is benefiting from investment in improved diseaseresistant trees, and from incentives to small producers.
* 2013 real GDP growth: 7.1% year-on-year (y-o-y), up from 7.0% in 2012; forecast to average 7.2% over 2012-2017.
* Consumer price inflation: 8.0% y-o-y average in 2013 (down from 16.2% in 2012).
* BMI universe agribusiness market value: 14.0% y-o-y increase to US$1.9bn in 2012/13, forecast to increase by an annual average of 4.1% between 2011/12 and 2016/17.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/536581_tanzania_agribusiness_report_q1_2013. ..
Export Trading Group (ETG), an African agricultural commodities supply chain manager, has received more than US$200mn from Pembani Remgro and the Carlyle Group. A substantial portion of the investment will go towards farms in Tanzania where the company will cultivate rice and barley. ETG has more than 7,000 employees across 30 African countries including Tanzania, where it operates 26 processing plants and 600 warehouses.
We have revised up our 2012/13 coffee forecast for Tanzania as good rainfall during plantings has aided flowering for the crop. We now forecast coffee production to increase 71.7% y-o-y to 917,000 60kg bags in 2012/13. This will come from base effects, as our output estimate for 2011/12 was revised down to 534,000 bags because of droughts in the country's main growing regions. The increase in output can also be attributed to the country's biennial production cycle, with the country entering an up-year. In line with this, the quality of the 2012/13 crop is expected to be much improved on 2011/12. Our expectations for longerterm growth in the sector are based on efforts to reinvest revenues from the industry into improving the prospects of farmers, making coffee growing once again an attractive prospect for rural people.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Tanzania Rice Outlook
- Table: Tanzania Rice Production & Consumption, 2012-2017
- Table: Tanzania Rice Production & Consumption, 2007-2012
- Tanzania Grains Outlook
- Table: Tanzania Corn Production & Consumption, 2012-2017
- Table: Tanzania Corn Production & Consumption, 2007-2012
- Tanzania Sugar Outlook
- Table: Tanzania Sugar Production & Consumption, 2012-2017
- Table: Tanzania Sugar Production & Consumption, 2007-2012
- Tanzania Coffee Outlook
- Table: Tanzania Coffee Production & Consumption, 2012-2017
- Table: Tanzania Coffee Production & Consumption, 2007-2012
Commodities Price Analysis
- Monthly Softs Strategy
- Table: BMI Commodity Price Strategy
- Table: Agricultural Commodity Performance & Forecasts
- Monthly Grains Strategy
- Table: Agricultural Commodity Performance & Forecasts
- Africa Fertiliser Outlook
- Africa Machinery Outlook
- Africa GM Outlook
- Industry Forecast - Food
- Table: Food Consumption - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Fish Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Corn Oil Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Liquid Milk Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Cheese Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Industry Forecast - Drink
- Table: Beer Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Carbonated Soft Drinks Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Industry Forecast - Mass Grocery Retail
- Table: Mass Grocery Retail Sales - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Demographic Forecast
- Table: Tanzania's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Tanzania's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Tanzania's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Tanzania's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.