2013-02-19 10:16:31 - New Consumer Goods market report from Business Monitor International: "Thailand Consumer Electronics Report Q1 2013"
BMI View: BMI expects the Thailand IT market will grow by around 12% in 2013. Spending growth was buoyant in Q112, with PC sales making a strong recovery and strong demand for tablets and smartphones. However, PC sales and mobile handset sales decelerated sharply in Q212, in part as consumer sentiment moderated. BMI expected sales in both categories to rebound in H212, boosted by seasonal factors and a wave of new product releases.
In 2013 consumer electronics spending is expected to grow 12%, even as high fuel costs and uncertainties over employment dampen consumer spending. In our view the main driver will be product innovation such as LED and 3D TV sets, tablets and smartphones.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Computer hardware sales: US$4.2bn in
2012 to US$4.5bn in 2013, +7% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to analyst modification, but tablets are expected to provide a growth area in 2013, with volume sales surpassing those of desktops. AV sales: US$3.2bn in 2012 to US$3.6bn in 2013, +11% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with Thailand's digital broadcasting migration expected to provide a boost to demand for flat-screen TV sets.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/536572_thailand_consumer_electronics_report_ ..
Handset sales: US$1.4bn in 2012 to US$1.8bn in 2013 +18% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised after strong growth in smartphone sales.
Risk/Reward Rating: Thailand's score was 49.2 out of 100.0. Thailand took 8th place in our latest Asia Pacific RRR table.
Key Trends & Developments
* BMI has included tablets in its Thai PC market forecast, as they were expected to be a major growth driver for IT hardware in 2012, with potential growth of 400%. BMI's forecast does not include the 800,000 tablets the government plans to distribute to schools. In 2011 the government launched an initiative to distribute tablets to Grade One schoolchildren and the ultimate aspiration is one tablet for every schoolchild. As sales of tablets grow, this will constrain shipments of desktops, but notebook sales should continue to grow. With falling prices and growing penetration of flat-screen TV sets, vendors will look to product innovation such as 3D TV sets and smart TV sets to drive growth. Sales of flat-panel TV sets will also be driven by Thailand's migration towards terrestrial digital broadcasting, even if the timetable remains unclear. In November 2012, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission's broadcasting committee decided to postpone until April 2013 the auction for licences to run commercial terrestrial digital TV channels. Meanwhile, the development of the smart TV segment will depend on domestic infrastructure of broadband accessibility and speed.
* Smartphone sales were projected to increase to about 31% of the handset market in 2012, with their share passing 50% by 2017. In future, strong growth in mobile data usage is expected by Thailand mobile operators, fuelling demand for smartphones. The fastest growth in 2012 was for lower-priced smartphones and mobile operators are fuelling this market with promotion bundle prices, starting at as low as 399 baht per month.
Report Table of Contents:
- Thailand Consumer Electronics Market SWOT
- Thailand Electronics Industry SWOT
- Thailand Political SWOT
- Thailand Economic SWOT
- Thailand Business Environment SWOT
- Table: Asia Pacific CE Risk/Reward Ratings, Q113
Consumer Electronics Market
- Table: Computers: Demand, 2010-2017
- Table: AV: Demand, 2010-2017
- Mobile Handsets
- Table: Mobile Handsets: Demand, 2010-2017
Consumer Electronics Industry
- Table: Electronics Output, 2010-2017
- Table: Computers: Production, 2010-2017
- Table: AV - Production, 2010-2017
- Tables: Communications - Production, 2010-2017
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview, 2010-2017
- Government Authority
- Table: Thailand - Economic Activity
- Hana Microelectronics
- Table: Thailand's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Thailand's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Thailand's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Thailand's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.