2013-09-17 09:07:35 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Zimbabwe Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
This quarter has seen the ongoing challenges to the business environment in Zimbabwe, and the effect on local drugmakers, acknowledged by the country's Health Minister, Henry Madzorera. He urged Indian pharmaceutical firms who supply generic medicines to the country to produce these medicines locally. Although a positive sign for the domestic market, high import duties, poor local production facilities and utilities and government encouragement of finished drug imports will continue to be detrimental to local manufacturers.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: US$203mn in 2012 to US$225mn in 2013; +10.9% in local currency and US dollar terms. Forecast largely in line with Q313.
In BMI's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) table for Q413, Zimbabwe maintains its Q313 position as 28th out of the
30 markets surveyed in the Middle East and Africa (MEA) region. Zimbabwe will remain one of the least-attractive pharmaceutical and healthcare markets regionally and globally, on account of the elevated political, economic and social risks, as well as the lack of finances for adequate healthcare provision and capacity utilisation.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/673317_zimbabwe_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_r ..
Key Trends And Developments
US vaccine company Immune Response BioPharma (IRBP) notified the Medicines Control Authority of Zimbabwe (MCAZ) that it will seek emergency approval of Remune (HIV-1 immunogen) in the country. The company aims to stockpile and manufacture the HIV/AIDS vaccine once it has secured a corporate partner in the region.
Zimbabwe's pharmaceutical manufacturers expressed their concern over unfair trade policies imposed by South Africa and a duty regime by the Zimbabwean government that is giving South African products an advantage in the local market. Pharmaceutical exports to South Africa from Zimbabwe have to be airlifted whereas South African products to Zimbabwe can be exported via roadways. This is increasing the cost burden on Zimbabwe manufacturers, reducing their profits and making them uncompetitive, according to an official from the Confederation of Zimbabwe Industries (CZI).
Zimbabwe's Health Minister, Henry Madzorera, urged Indian pharmaceutical firms who supply generic medicines to the country to produce these medicines locally in order to aid the growth of the pharmaceutical sector. He invited Indian drug manufacturers to produce medicines for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, and stated that the country's health ministry seeks to expand the production capacity of its pharmaceutical sector through collaborations with Indian companies.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Zimbabwe Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Pharmaceutical Trade
- Table: Zimbabwe Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Table: Zimbabwe Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (ZWDmn)
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Analysis
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Middle East And Africa Risk/Reward Ratings
- Zimbabwe Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare System
- Table: Zimbabwe: Healthcare Facilities
- Healthcare Funding
- Health Insurance
- Healthcare Staff
- Traditional Medicine
- Regulatory Regime
- Intellectual Property Developments
- Counterfeit Drugs
- Pricing And Reimbursement Regimes
- Public Drug Procurement
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Domestic Industry
- Foreign Industry
- Pharmaceutical Sector Developments
- Retail Pharmacy Sector
- Varichem Laboratories
- Table: Zimbabwe's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Zimbabwe's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Zimbabwe's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Zimbabwe's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
- Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
- Notes On Methodology
- Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
- Ratings Overview
- Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.